Error Reporting asks me to download IE Service Pack 2 and other in

A workaround is available: Turn off Internet Explorer add-ons

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem Description

The error was likely caused by Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Problem Resolution

To troubleshoot this problem, please complete the following procedure.
Completing all of the steps will help you prevent the error from recurring.

Step 1: Install the update for Internet Explorer 6 for XP Service Pack 2

This update ensures that all add-ons are listed in the Manage Add-ons dialog
box. If you don't install this update, some add-ons may be hidden.

Install the update for Internet Explorer 6 for XP Service Pack 2

Step 2: Restart your computer in Safe Mode

Because some malicious add-ons can sometimes elude detection in the normal
Windows mode, you need to start your computer in Safe Mode. To start Windows
in Safe Mode, follow these steps:

Restart your computer. As your computer restarts, repeatedly press the F8
key on your keyboard until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
Use the arrow key to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
Use an arrow key to select an operating system and press ENTER.
When prompted whether you want your Windows to run in safe mode, click Yes.
For more information about restarting your computer in Safe Mode, see A
description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP.

Step 3: Turn off Internet Explorer add-ons you don't recognize

Add-ons are software components that add features and functionality to
Microsoft Internet Explorer. When you visit a website, an add-on may be
downloaded without your knowledge, or you may be prompted to download an
add-on. These add-ons may cause Internet Explorer to run slowly or become
unresponsive.

You can usually spot malicious add-ons under the Name column in the Manage
Add-ons dialog box. Malicious add-ons may have:

Blank names
Names that include random characters or have a sequence of numbers and
letters (for example, fhriduvh.dll or f6rid8vh.exe as opposed to Windows
Messenger)
A publisher name you may or may not recognize
To turn off an add-on, follow these steps:

Open Internet Explorer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Manage Add-ons.
Click the name of the add-on.
Click Disable.
You may have to restart Internet Explorer for the changes to take effect.

If (Not verified) is displayed in the Publisher column in the Manage Add-ons
dialog box, the add-on itself is not digitally signed (even though the
program that installed it might be). A digital signature verifies that a file
comes from the person or publisher it claims to be from, and that no one has
tampered with it since it was digitally signed.

To learn more about how to manage your Internet Explorer add-ons, see How to
manage Internet Explorer add-ons in Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Note: If you are unable to access Internet Explorer, try this method of
turning off add-ons:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Internet Options.
On the Programs tab, click Manage Add-ons.
Click the name of the add-on.
Click Disable.
Step 4: Restart Windows in its normal mode

To start Windows normally:

Click Start, click Shut Down or Turn Off Computer, and then select Restart
from the drop-down list.
Click OK.

Additional Troubleshooting

If Internet Explorer continues to crash, please try the following procedure.
This will turn off all add-ons that may be causing problems with Internet
Explorer.

To turn off all add-ons, follow these steps:

Close all open Internet Explorer windows.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Browsing, click to clear the Enable third-party browser extensions
(requires restart) check box.
Restart Internet Explorer.
Important: When you turn off add-ons and restart your computer all add-ons
will be unavailable when you start Internet Explorer. You can easily turn on
these components again.

To turn on add-ons, follow these steps:

Close all open Internet Explorer windows.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Browsing, select the Enable third-party browser extensions (requires
restart) check box.
Restart Internet Explorer.
The above information is a description from Microsoft Online Crash Analysis.
I already have IE SP2 on my Windows XP System. How can I determine which
add-ons should be disabled and which sould not be disabled and how else can I
fix this error?

Sincerely,
designengineering

Don Varnau

Hi,
Is this happening frequently? If it was a one-time event, I wouldn't worry,
yet.

It's OK to disable *any * add-ons or "third party browser extensions"
temporarily, as a test. If there's an add-on that you don't recognize you
can do a google (or other) search for the name or CLSID. Example
{EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} is the Yahoo toolbar.

If this is happening frequently, malware is a possibility. No one program
can remove all malware. Start
by downloading and running CWShredder, Ad-aware and Spybot. Check for
updates before running Ad-aware or Spybot.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

If unsuccessful with those programs, you may have to post a HijackThis log
for analysis. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums:
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"designengineering" wrote in message

I tried to disable all add-ons, by first disabling it in Normal XP mode. Then
I re-staretd the computer in Safe Mode and disabled add-ons that were not
picked up. Then I re-started the computer in Normal mode.

It did not allow me to use Internet Explorer. Most pages gave me "Page not
Found".

I temporarily enabled all add-ons so I can use Intenet Explorer. If they
were disabled I would not be able to use Internet Explorer. What should I do?
Which one's should I keep for connection purposes and which ones can be
sacrificed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
The above information is a description from Microsoft Online Crash Analysis.
I already have IE SP2 on my Windows XP System. How can I determine which
add-ons should be disabled and which sould not be disabled and how else can I
fix this error?

Sincerely,
designengineering

Don Varnau

Hi,
Were you able to install this update?
- - - - -
Step 1: Install the update for Internet Explorer 6 for XP Service Pack 2

This update ensures that all add-ons are listed in the Manage Add-ons dialog
box. If you don't install this update, some add-ons may be hidden.
- - - - -
The best method of determining which add-ons are legitimate is to search for
the name or clsid with google or another search engine.

These two programs can identify many Browser Helper Objects:
BHODemon 2.0: http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
ToolbarCop from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm