Internet Explorer delay on dialup reconnect

Duane

I'm afraid I don't even know what the question is that I want to ask, let
alone how to search for any solution. Maybe someone could at least help me
determine what to ask? ;-)

This has been going on for some time, but I seem to remember it happening
after upgrading to one of the many patches to Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
using Windows 98SE. The problem is when I dial in, use IE browser(s),
disconnect, and then dial back in. After dialing back in, many times (not
all), the browser seems to hang. It doesn't actually hang, because after a
few minutes, it starts working on it's own. Whether I manually enter a new
address or click a link, with or without Outlook 97 active, nothing happens
for awhile. There is hardly any activity on the modem - just a few bytes of
sending (or re-requesting?). Outlook will send and receive messages just
fine during this time. Once it starts working again, the browser windows
flash and all the links I've entered or click come up. It's like it's just
been delayed or buffered for awhile.

I have discovered that right-clicking the browser window icon on the task
bar, will usually cause it to receive data. The world/windows icon in the
browser window will start rotating and the modem shows activity. However,
as soon as I click on another browser window icon, everything stops again.
Sometimes, I have to right-click several times to get it started or to keep
receiving data. Or I can go away for a few minutes and come back.

Anyone have any ideas of what is happening? Or know of a concise question
that I should ask or search for?

Thank you,

Duane

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Duane,

Thank you for posting here.

From your description I suspect it may be caused by your overflowed system.
For your situation I¡¯d like to suggest you do a clean boot to see if this
issue occurs.

Let's perform a clean boot of your system to identify any drivers or
programs that may be interfering with the normal operation of your computer.

A clean boot will allow us to isolate any device drivers or programs that
are loading at startup that may be causing a conflict with other device
drivers or programs that are installed in your computer.

1. Run the System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe).

2. Select "Selective Startup" and remove the checks from each item below
the Selective Startup option.

3. Click the Apply button.

4. Reboot your computer.

Let us wait to see if your computer still experiences the same problem?

If your issue is resolved at this point, repeat the process, but add one
check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Selective
Startup" menu until the issue reappears again, when this happens follow
these steps:

1. Select the tab for the last file you enabled and remove the checks from
each line in that file.

2. Click the Apply button

3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.

4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.

5. Click the Apply button.

6. Reboot your computer.

When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
causing the slow shutdown. Please report the findings to me so that we can
determine the best course of action (if any) to take.

I hope that the above information can be of assistance. If you have any
concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.

| From: "Duane" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Internet Explorer delay on dialup reconnect
| Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:58:49 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser
|
| I'm afraid I don't even know what the question is that I want to ask, let
| alone how to search for any solution. Maybe someone could at least help
me
| determine what to ask? ;-)
|
| This has been going on for some time, but I seem to remember it happening
| after upgrading to one of the many patches to Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
| using Windows 98SE. The problem is when I dial in, use IE browser(s),
| disconnect, and then dial back in. After dialing back in, many times (not
| all), the browser seems to hang. It doesn't actually hang, because after
| few minutes, it starts working on it's own. Whether I manually enter a
new
| address or click a link, with or without Outlook 97 active, nothing
happens
| for awhile. There is hardly any activity on the modem - just a few bytes
of
| sending (or re-requesting?). Outlook will send and receive messages just
| fine during this time. Once it starts working again, the browser windows
| flash and all the links I've entered or click come up. It's like it's
just
| been delayed or buffered for awhile.
|
| I have discovered that right-clicking the browser window icon on the task
| bar, will usually cause it to receive data. The world/windows icon in the
| browser window will start rotating and the modem shows activity. However,
| as soon as I click on another browser window icon, everything stops again.
| Sometimes, I have to right-click several times to get it started or to
keep
| receiving data. Or I can go away for a few minutes and come back.
|
| Anyone have any ideas of what is happening? Or know of a concise question
| that I should ask or search for?
|
| Thank you,
|
| Duane

Duane

Vincent,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the problem isn't consistent.
I tried using the msconfig and everything seemed to work. Even after I
added everything back in. Once, there appeared to be a delay, but within a
few seconds, it started loading the page. If it messes up, to change the
msconfig, I would have to reboot which makes everything different then and
may not cause a delay after rebooting. I was hoping someone could say they
had the same problem or if it may be a problem only with my setup. Could
uninstalling and re-installing IE6 with only the last accumulative patch fix
anything?

Duane