Internet explorer 6.0

I am working on my neighbors computer with Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0. When he
tries to go on line he get "this page cannot be displayed, the page you are
looking for is currently unavailable". Under tools, internet options Juno
shows as his current page as it should since he does have Juno as his home
page. Due to this I do not believe it has been hijacked. I have checked on
the Microsoft website and it gives a solution for this particular problem.
Within this solution I am supposed to open up the command prompt window and
type in the following information to go to the directory: C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5. After
I get into this directory I am supposed to type in del index.dat and then
press enter, exit the command prompt and restart the computer.
When I open the command prompt from start, all programs, accessories then
click command prompt it open with the following info. already in it:
C:\Documents and Settings\owner. I then type the rest of the info. that you
see above and but it cannot open up the directory Content.IE5 and it reverts
back to what was in it when I first opened it. It also squawks about
the"local setting". Does anyone have any idea when typing in this info. to
this command prompt why it will not open the directory, Content.IE5. I would
appreciate any help.

Lite

Hi,
You can try to open My computer, double click "c:\" folder, open
"windows" folder, open "Temporary Internet Files", open "ContentIE5",
Look for "Index" and delete it. Helpful?
Thanks
Carlos

Don Varnau

Hi,
Rather than deleting just the index.dat file, delete the Temporary Internet
Files folder. A new folder will be created on restart.

Login as another user with admin privileges, or from the machine's default
administrator account (from safe mode) and delete the affected TIF folder
from Windows Explorer.

More information at:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Other possibilities:
Can't display- DNS Errors: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#dns
Many (not all) of the steps in this article will be relevant:
870700 - How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with IE 6
[XP] SP2: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700

A third-party program may be causing this problem. This (lengthy)
troubleshooting process may help:
276393 - Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in
Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276393

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Wayne" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Thank you Lite and Don for your information. I will try it as soon as my
neighbor is available. Have a good day.
--
Wayne

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

I was also having the same issue, but my administrator acct had not problem
with the large font. I logged on as administrator and deleted the user
directory causing the problem. Then I logged on as the user and all is
working perfect again.
Thanks
Robert Mell
Phoenix, AZ
(e-mail address removed)

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

Bob,
Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for the feedback.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Robert Mell" wrote in message
Don

I was also having the same issue, but my administrator acct had not problem
with the large font. I logged on as administrator and deleted the user
directory causing the problem. Then I logged on as the user and all is
working perfect again.
Thanks
Robert Mell
Phoenix, AZ
PhxBob[at]cox.net

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

[snip]

Don, I tried what you suggested tonight but I had some unforeseen problems.
This is what happened. I was trying to do basically do the same thing as you
told me to do but I was following info. from the following MS website:
Http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293402 in regards to
this very same problem. It said go to this path C:\Documents and
settings\username\local settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and del
Index.data. In trying to follow this path from windows explorer I got as far
as C:\Documents and Settings\username\ but there was not any Local Settings
folder to follow the patch on to the Content.IE5 so therefore I could not get
to that folder to delete it and the index.dat
I tried to use the command prompt from start, accessories & command prompt
to type in the paths to the above but I guess I do not know enough about dos
to do it. When it is first opened it already has; C:\Documents and
Settings\username\> pretyped. I could not back it up to get rid of the
greater than sign > to continue typing the path to that particular folder. I
trried the command prompt in safe mode and in safe mode itself but to no
avail. Maybe there is something that I am over looking over. Hopefully from
what I have relayed here you can see something that I may be overlooking. If
you could give me step by step instructions to do what I am trying to do I
would certainly appreciate it. Thanks for the help you have already given.
--
Wayne

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Wayne,
The Local Settings folder under C:\Documents and Settings\username\ will be
a hidden folder. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Go to Control Panel>
Folder Options> View and check "Show hidden files and folders." You should
then be able to delete the Temporary Internet Files folder, and that will
also delete the Content.IE5 folder and index.dat files.

No need to do this from a CMD prompt. If you're logged in as another user
with admin privileges, you can simply delete the Temporary Internet Files

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

tried the command prompt in safe mode and in safe mode itself but to no