Internet Connection

sharma

Hello all:

I have two computers 1. Laptop with Windows2000 (which I use at home
with Internet cable connection) 2. My work computer which has XP
professional (this is used at office in LAN with Proxy server)

Now I take both these computers to a different network (simple T1
connection to a router and distributed to various users through a HUB,
there is NO DHCP or WINS server). For both the computers I do IPCONFIG
/release and restart the computers. I also changed TCP-IP settings to
default in both the computers (TCP-IP settings are exactly same on
both the computers).

Now when I restart computer Internet works in First computer (Laptop)
but does not work on second computer. Network card is absolutely fine
in second computer and also interestingly I'm able to PING from second
computer but not able to browse Internet. It gives me white page,
telling me settings problem. I'm wandering what is the problem as
settings on both the computers are same.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sharma

Richard G. Harper

Are you disabling the proxy settings on the XP computer when you move it
between networks?

sharma

Thanks Richard,

Yes on the computer which is not working (XP) had some Proxy settings
which I have disabled it.

Also one more thing when I run IPCONFIG on 2000 I see IP Address,
Subnet mask and default gateway results while on XP I also see
something with name "Tunnel Adapter automatic tunneling Pseudo
interface" which also has details as IP Address, Subnet mask and
defalt gateway apart from the first line item IP Address, Subnet mask
and default gateway .

Sharma

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] (e-mail address removed)

sharma said:
[...]

The second set of entries are from the IPv6 network client you installed
from Windows Updates. Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to advise so
perhaps someone else will ...