Windows XP Internet connection problems

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Once againI have a problem no one seems able to resolve so I turn to you!!
I connect to the internet via a wireless overland network (I live in the country in Spain) for the last three or four days my connection has been dropping for no apparent reason, if I go to "network connections" and press "support" then "repair" the connection is restored but only for 5 or 6 minutes then it dropps again.
I have had the engineer from my internet provider out, he connected his laptop to my connection and all appeared OK, I have run all my ANti Virus (AVG Free) Anti spyware (SPybot & Ad-Aware) also spyware doctor - they all come back clean.
I have reverted back to my old laptop for the internet and all seems ok so I must think it is the PC that is at fault and not the connection.
The PC is a Dell Dimension 9200, running XP. I would be very gratefull for any help or pointers anyone could provide.
Regards
Chris

Reaction score
Hi Chris do you have more than one Ethernet port on your PC?

Alternatively a separate plug in card you could try?

Also make sure the setting have not been changed in anyway

Goto you network connections and find the one you are using usually called Local area connection

Right click on it and goto properties. Scroll down and untick QOS packet scheduler then goto Protocols highlight it and click properties. Make sure it is set as obtain ip automatically

Goodluck

Reaction score
Back on line

Thanks for that TriplexDread, but alas no joy. I have succumed and reverted the PC back to out of the box condition and reload everything and up to now things seem ok, could it be possible that the newer and higher spec Dell PC is more fussy about connection speeds than the 5 year old laptop??
Anyway up to now all OK fingers croseed.
Many thanks
Chris

Ask a Question