Internet Connection Firewall

Tony

Attempting to enable the firewall in Windows XP Pro, I
received the following message on the 'Advanced' tab of
the 'Properties' dialog:
Control Panel
Network Connections
Connection Service
Right-Click
Properties
Advanced tab

Windows cannot display the properties of this connection.
The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information
might be corrupted. To correct this, use System Restore
to restore Windows to an earlier time (called a restore
point). System Restore is located in the System Tools
folder in Accessories.

Given I don't have a restore point to roll back to, what
is the best way to remedy this?

Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

Try the resolution from this Microsoft KB article:
823775 Error Message: The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
Information
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823775
----
Thanks,
Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

When replying, please post to GROUP so that everyone can benefit from the
knowledge.

Tony

Thanks, Rakesh,

I don't like the idea of re-installing Windows (I've done
it before). But if that's my best option, so be it. Now
in the future, is there a way to backup or otherwise
preserve the WMI database in the event this happens again?

Thanks
Tony
Try the resolution from this Microsoft KB article:
823775 Error Message: The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
Information
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823775
----
Thanks,
Rakesh Chanana [MSFT]

When replying, please post to GROUP so that everyone can benefit from the
knowledge.

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Wow, that KB is pretty unhelpful. These instructions should get your
firewall rolling again

1. open a command prompt
2. "cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem"
3. "mofcomp hnetcfg.mof"
4. If it succeeds, then try the advanced tab again. If it fails, keep
reading
5. Read the follow the instructions here:

Error Message: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Might Be Corrupted
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319101

6. Repeat steps 2 & 3.

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

From: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Subject: Internet Connection Firewall
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:38:19 -0700

Attempting to enable the firewall in Windows XP Pro, I
received the following message on the 'Advanced' tab of
the 'Properties' dialog:

Control Panel
Network Connections
Connection Service
Right-Click
Properties
Advanced tab

Windows cannot display the properties of this connection.
The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information
might be corrupted. To correct this, use System Restore
to restore Windows to an earlier time (called a restore
point). System Restore is located in the System Tools
folder in Accessories.

Given I don't have a restore point to roll back to, what
is the best way to remedy this?

.

Phil Michel

I'm in the same boat as Tony...no uncorrupt WMI at any restore point
and prefer not to reinstall Windows if I don't have to.

I dumped %windir%\system32\wbem\Repository, but it did not repopulate
on reboot.

Tried Ken's advice below, but without success. The results:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wbem>mofcomp hnetcfg.mof
Microsoft (R) 32-bit MOF Compiler Version 5.1.2600.1106
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2001. All rights reserved.
Parsing MOF file: hnetcfg.mof
MOF file has been successfully parsed
Storing data in the repository...
An error occurred while opening the namespace for object 1 defined on
lines 16 -
19:
Error Number: 0x80004002, Facility: <Null>
Compiler returned error 0x80004002
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\wbem>

Hope this is a clue as to what to try next. Thanks for advising.

-Phil