Internet and Windows Explorer stopped working

G

Help!
After I downloaded and installed the most recent XP update, both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer have stopped working. Trying to access the net w/IE yields "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close"
Trying to view "My Documents" or "My Computer" yields the same error message, except it says "Windows Explorer" etc.
Norton doesn't find any problems.

E

Emmett

You can try uninstalling that update in add/remove
programs or checking to see if you have a recent restore
point in system restore (start, programs, accessories,
sytem tools, restore) and restore to that point.
I always create a restore point before updating,
installing programs - devices, any changes to pc.
-----Original Message-----
Help!
After I downloaded and installed the most recent XP
update, both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer have
stopped working. Trying to access the net w/IE
yields "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and
needs to close"
Trying to view "My Documents" or "My Computer" yields
the same error message, except it says "Windows Explorer"
etc.

G

OK, so I'll create a system restore point before I update. Does't solve the problem now

Can't get to add/remove programs, that requires windows explorer to be functioning. Have a terrible feeling I'll be typing "Format"

G

This is the exact same problem That I am having, and no help is out there, YET. keep searching thogh, becasue "format" is not an option, here is my email if you come up with anything, (e-mail address removed). Good luck.

G

Thanks to all the "experts".

Downloaded Lavasoft Adaware 6.0, installed and ran it, removed all ad-ware. Voila! Windows and Internet Explorer live again! Download the updates to Adaware before you run it.

Ask a Question