INtermtent Problems with Windowx XP w/SP@ and IE6

I have had various problems with my new computer for the last 5 months. I
have tried just about everything. The issues are not major but very annoying
and I cannot seem to find anyone who can pin down the problem. Have already
done a PC Reformat once and do not really believe that this will fix the
problem. Do seem to think that most of what I am dealing with is software
conflicts but am not sure. I have a post right now on Mcafee's help forums
to see if they have heard of what I am dealing with. Below is my post from
that site. If anyone has good solid information regarding what I have
experienced, Please feel free to chime in.

Has anyone ever had Privacy Service ever cause any of the following issues
on a Windows XP w/SP2 system:

1. Stopping of Windows Critical Updates in the middle of the download. (Did
a PC reformat because of these and now disable Web bug blocker before
critical updates and have not had this happen again in the last two months)

2. Various IE hangs while browsing the internet, opening IE, or closing out
of a second window on a forum. They usually leave 2 errors in the event
viewer, one application hang for IE with the version number, address, etc.
and the other with an application hang and description of a fault bucket
error.

3. Various IE closings stating that it had a problem and needs to close and
then asking you to send an error report to Microsoft, which I send all the
time.

4. IE errors after closing IE stating that the memory could not be read.

5. White page when trying to exit a .net passport site, unless web bug
blocker is disabled. Will let you sign in but not out.

6. White page in window when trying to post on this site or trying to edit a
post.

Except for number 1 where the computer froze, IE can be immediately opened
back up and used as if nothing happened then the problem might occur a week
or so latter and there is no specific site or procedure that I am doing that
causes these. Anything from surfing and closing out of a window, just
surfing, or even opening IE and it loads half the window then stops with a
hang.

Number 1 only happened twice. Number 2, 3, & 4 maybe once a week or less.
All randomly. Might have number 2 this week, number 3 twice next week, number
4 the week latter, fine for a week, etc. Number 5 whenever privacy service is
enabled and number 6 whenever web bug blocker is enabled. Just trying to
identify and pinpoint what is the problem. All seem to involve IE6 in some
way shape or form and two of the six have been directly related to privacy
service. Any information would be helpful.

Should mention that I have run an updated Viruscan, Adaware SE, VX2 cleaner,
Xcleaner free version, and Microsoft's Antispyware all in safe mode without
finding anything. System is competely up to date with critical updates and
office updates. Use Mcafee Firewall Plus, Viruscan, and Privacy Service and
am connected to the internet via cable modem and Router with good firewall.
My cable connection is 6 mbps if that helps. Running Windows XP w/SP2 with 1
gig of ram and plenty of space on my hard drive. Been searching for a
solution and talking to techs from Microsoft, Mcafee, Dell for months with no
resolution. Anyone????

KM1

Don Varnau

Hi,
I would uninstall the McAfee Software to see if the problems with IE stop.
All of the problems you list could be caused by a third-party program-
possibly legitimate- possibly malware.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]