Interesting news on Gmail

oldfart

I found this on a web site called nerdshack it offers free email just
like gmail but less storage the interesting thing is what they say about
Gmail, here is a bit of it , if you want to read more go to
http://www.nerdshack.com

General Public --

Welcome to the Nerdshack, where we provide the public with free anonymous
POP3 e-mail accounts. Use the register link above and your new e-mail
address will become your account name at both nerdshack.com and
mailshack.com. A nerdshack.com e-mail account comes with our pledge to
protect your privacy, and respect your time. We will not surrender your
e-mail address to anyone, and will actively attempt to keep spam out of
your inbox. Continue reading to find out why we decided to offer this
service.

This site serves as a direct reaction to the corporate portals which have
actively chosen to trade your privacy for their profit. What prompted our
reaction was the recent announcement of Google's new e-mail service,
nicknamed Gmail. This service was revolutionary in that it would offer
the public one gigabyte of storage, far more than any other free e-mail
service in existence today, but would fund the service by selling
targeted advertisements. What disturbed us, and a large portion of the
observant public is the way Google intends to target their
advertisements. Google is planning to build user profiles based on the
contents of their e-mails. This profile, augmented by information about
your Internet searches using their search tool will provide a curious
observer with a frighteningly accurate picture of a users personal life.
Here at the Nerdshack, we promise never to scan your e-mail, or allow
anyone to access it without a court order. We intend to take privacy one
step further; someday soon we hope to deploy a system that will
automatically encrypt our users e-mail, thereby preventing anyone from
accessing it without knowing the proper password.

kline

oldfart said:
[...]

Looks promising - anyone tried it yet?

Kline

burnr

I found this on a web site called nerdshack it offers free email just
like gmail but less storage the interesting thing is what they say about
Gmail, here is a bit of it , if you want to read more go to
http://www.nerdshack.com

It does look interesting. After reading all the pages, I was convinced to
give it a shot, last page I looked at "Register"....
http://www.nerdshack.com/cgi-bin/regform.cgi
<q>We are no longer accepting new users. Check back in October, after we
have had a chance to upgrade our systems.</q>
Arghh! :) Oh well, will check back in Oct. Thanks for the link though.
The name alone compels me to register an account ;)

Chuk

I found this on a web site called nerdshack it offers free email just
like gmail but less storage the interesting thing is what they say about
Gmail, here is a bit of it , if you want to read more go to
http://www.nerdshack.com

General Public --
No longer accepting new registrations :(

Anne Carle

[...]

That is interesting! For more info re Gmail, try here:
http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

Anne

Simone Murdock

Looks promising - anyone tried it yet?

(e-mail address removed) dooesn't sound nice :-/
Slightly better ellipse@mailshack

Hope they'll give choise among other domains...

Simone

"Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try."
by Yoda, Jedi Master (from anonymous poster)
( remove/togli 'FalselinK' to reply/per rispondere )

Ben Cooper

oldfart said:
[...]

Are you *sure* this site wasn't set up to lure those who distrust
"mainstream" services?
This could be part of some evil Cabal's scheme to capture both the
'trusting' *and* the 'paranoid'!

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Are you *sure* this site wasn't set up to lure those who distrust
"mainstream" services?
This could be part of some evil Cabal's scheme to capture both the
'trusting' *and* the 'paranoid'!

What amuses me is that those who are paranoid about Google and use
THIS site to justify their fears are apparently untroubled by the
"Policy" statement on Nerdshack:

"This is a living document and is subject to change with
little or no notice. Our current policies will always be
posted here.

"We reserve the right to discontinue an individual's service
at anytime, and without notice for any reason we deem
appropriate.

'We provide this free service without any warranty as to its
reliability, or fitness for a particular purpose.

"Use at your own risk."

J44xm

["oldfart"; Sat, 04 Sep 2004 09:00:20 GMT]
I found this on a web site called nerdshack it offers free email just
like gmail but less storage the interesting thing is what they say about
Gmail, here is a bit of it , if you want to read more go to
http://www.nerdshack.com

This isn't news, BTW.