Integrate XP Windows firewall in a W2k domain

I have asked this question in other area and keep getting answers for W2k3 or
XP that don't apply. How do integrate Windows firewall that is on XP into
our since W2k domain? When firewall is on it stop NTbackup backups from
occuring on these laptops. I was told the use GPOE and then select Adm
templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall. W2k default
domain policy do not have such a selection. I would rater have the firewall
on but I need to know what exceptions to allow on firewall to get it to work
with the doamin. Also I have tried the netsh firewall set opmode cmd. It
doesn't keep firewall off when loggged into domain. Thanks

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you want to deploy firewall settings in Windows 2000
domain via GPOs.

The best way to manage Windows Firewall settings in an organization network
is to use Active Directory and the new Windows Firewall settings in
Computer Configuration Group Policy. This method requires the use of Active
Directory with either Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 domain
controllers. Group Policy updates are requested by the domain member
computer, and are therefore solicited traffic that is not dropped when
Windows Firewall is enabled.
When you use Group Policy to configure Windows Firewall, by default local
administrators will be unable to change some elements of its configuration
locally, using the Windows Firewall component in Control Panel. Some tabs
and options in the Windows Firewall dialog box will be grayed out and
unavailable.

The basic steps for deploying Windows Firewall settings for Windows XP SP2
with Active Directory are the following:

1. Update your Group Policy objects with the new Windows Firewall settings.
2. Specify Windows Firewall settings for your Group Policy objects.

For the steps in detail please refer to the section [Deploying Windows
Firewall Settings With Group Policy] in the following URL.

Note To update your Group Policy objects for network environments using
Active Directory and Windows XP SP1, Microsoft recommends that you use the
Group Policy Management Console, a free download. For more information, see
Group Policy Management Console with Service Pack 1.

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service
Pack 2

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/a/68a81446-cd73-4a61-8665-8a6778
1ac4e8/WF_XPSP2.doc#_Toc85246650>

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Integrate XP Windows firewall in a W2k domain
| Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:21:11 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
|
| I have asked this question in other area and keep getting answers for
W2k3 or
| XP that don't apply. How do integrate Windows firewall that is on XP
into
| our since W2k domain? When firewall is on it stop NTbackup backups from
| occuring on these laptops. I was told the use GPOE and then select Adm
| templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall. W2k default
| domain policy do not have such a selection. I would rater have the
firewall
| on but I need to know what exceptions to allow on firewall to get it to
work
| with the doamin. Also I have tried the netsh firewall set opmode cmd.
It
| doesn't keep firewall off when loggged into domain. Thanks

Thanks but the link you sent goes no where. Your suggestion #1 is the
stumper. How do I update a W2k domain to have the XP firewall selections.
It's same answer I keep getting yet no expalnation on how to do this. The MS
page on manageing Win Firewall thru GPO's and XP doesn't explain it. I have
a Windows 2000 domain with Windows 2000 DC's. Is there some update that
changes the default domain setting to include the XP setting for the GPO?

Jason Tan (MSFT) said:
> [...]

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
|
| I have asked this question in other area and keep getting answers for
W2k3 or
| XP that don't apply. How do integrate Windows firewall that is on XP
into
| our since W2k domain? When firewall is on it stop NTbackup backups from
| occuring on these laptops. I was told the use GPOE and then select Adm
| templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall. W2k default
| domain policy do not have such a selection. I would rater have the
firewall
| on but I need to know what exceptions to allow on firewall to get it to
work
| with the doamin. Also I have tried the netsh firewall set opmode cmd.
It
| doesn't keep firewall off when loggged into domain. Thanks

Ok my bad on the link I didn't see the 2nd part. I got it to work. But I
still run into same issue as previous. I open an XP sp2 PC as admin. I go
to add the snap in. I do not have choice of Group Policy Object Editor.
There is only Group Policy. What am I missing here? Does this have to be on
a server or will a laptop do? I do not have any W2k3 DC's. I do have a W2k3
server. It has the GPOE but does NOT have the Network, Network Connections,
Firewall selections as laid out by these instructions as the GP (Default
Domain Policy) is on a W2k DC. So what part of this am I missing? Thanks

Jason Tan (MSFT) said:
> [...]

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
|
| I have asked this question in other area and keep getting answers for
W2k3 or
| XP that don't apply. How do integrate Windows firewall that is on XP
into
| our since W2k domain? When firewall is on it stop NTbackup backups from
| occuring on these laptops. I was told the use GPOE and then select Adm
| templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall. W2k default
| domain policy do not have such a selection. I would rater have the
firewall
| on but I need to know what exceptions to allow on firewall to get it to
work
| with the doamin. Also I have tried the netsh firewall set opmode cmd.
It
| doesn't keep firewall off when loggged into domain. Thanks

Ok I created a new policy on with the w2k3 svr in GPOE and now I have those
firewall selections. Default domain ploicy wouldn't let me add them I guess.
I just need to read the document to see how to set the policies and then how
to apply this policy to selected PC's. Thanks for your help.

Jason Tan (MSFT) said:
> [...]

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
|
| I have asked this question in other area and keep getting answers for
W2k3 or
| XP that don't apply. How do integrate Windows firewall that is on XP
into
| our since W2k domain? When firewall is on it stop NTbackup backups from
| occuring on these laptops. I was told the use GPOE and then select Adm
| templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall. W2k default
| domain policy do not have such a selection. I would rater have the
firewall
| on but I need to know what exceptions to allow on firewall to get it to
work
| with the doamin. Also I have tried the netsh firewall set opmode cmd.
It
| doesn't keep firewall off when loggged into domain. Thanks

Steven L Umbach

Just to add that you will probably want to install the Group Policy
Management Console on the XP Pro computer that you are using to manage Group
Policy in your Windows 2000 domain. You will also find that rsop.msc on the
XP Pro computers will be helpful in troubleshooting Group Policy issues. ---
Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx --- GPMC and
this will work on XP Pro

Jason Tan (MSFT) said:
[...]

so

rights.

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4=?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Integrate XP Windows firewall in a W2k domain
| Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:21:11 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security
|
| I have asked this question in other area and keep getting answers for
W2k3 or
| XP that don't apply. How do integrate Windows firewall that is on XP
into
| our since W2k domain? When firewall is on it stop NTbackup backups
from
| occuring on these laptops. I was told the use GPOE and then select
Adm
| templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall. W2k
default
| domain policy do not have such a selection. I would rater have the
firewall
| on but I need to know what exceptions to allow on firewall to get it
work
| with the doamin. Also I have tried the netsh firewall set opmode
cmd.
It
| doesn't keep firewall off when loggged into domain. Thanks

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thank you for your response!

We suggest you use Group Policy Management Console with Service Pack
1(GPMC).

GPMC simplifies the management of Group Policy by making it easier to
understand, deploy, manage, and troubleshoot Group Policy implementations.
GPMC also enables automation of Group Policy operations via scripting.

GPMC can be used to manage Windows Server 2003 as well as Windows
2000-based Group Policy implementations. Customers who have at least one
valid license of Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server can obtain and
use an unlimited number of copies of GPMC. Please see the End User License
Agreement (EULA) provided with the GPMC software for details on licensing
terms.

> [...]

information, see
| > > Group Policy Management Console with Service Pack 1.
| > >
| > > Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with
Service
| > > Pack 2

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/8/a/68a81446-cd73-4a61-8665-8a6778
| > > 1ac4e8/WF_XPSP2.doc#_Toc85246650>
| > >
| > > Hope the information helps.
| > >
| > > Best Regards,
| > >
| > > Jason Tan
| > >
| > > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

| > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| > > |