Insufficient resources to complete the API when hibernating: what's causing this?

Michael Moser

Recently almost every time when I try to hibernate after the machine has
been on for a while I get an alert "Insufficient resources to complete
the API" and then the hibernation command is obviously canceles and the
machine remains on. What's even stranger is, that - if I then open the
Control Panel's Power Options dialog - the Hibernation tab has
disappeared, as if hibernation was never enabled or didn't even exist as
an option.

After a reboot everything is back to normal and I can hibernate etc.
This is on XP with all SPs and patches installed and I have 2GB of RAM
and about 10GB diskspace left (and the hibernation file exists and has
he correct size etc.), so I have no idea, what resources could run short
here.

Any idea or hint what is causing this?

Michael

Unk

Recently almost every time when I try to hibernate after the machine has
been on for a while I get an alert "Insufficient resources to complete
the API" and then the hibernation command is obviously canceles and the
machine remains on. What's even stranger is, that - if I then open the
Control Panel's Power Options dialog - the Hibernation tab has
disappeared, as if hibernation was never enabled or didn't even exist as
an option.

After a reboot everything is back to normal and I can hibernate etc.
This is on XP with all SPs and patches installed and I have 2GB of RAM
and about 10GB diskspace left (and the hibernation file exists and has
he correct size etc.), so I have no idea, what resources could run short
here.

Any idea or hint what is causing this?

Michael

Is there a display adapter problem in the Device Manager?
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager button

How to troubleshoot hibernation and standby issues in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907477

Michael Moser

Thanks - that solved the problem. Had to search for the kernel
replacements but at least that accurately described the bug and pointed
me to the solution.

I only wonder, why MS doesn't provide the update file right there and
then, but requires people to come and beg for them. :-(

Michael

I have this same problem since upgrading my RAM to 2GB and I rely on
hibernation a lot. Could you please inform me where to get the hotfix.
There is no download option on this page.

Thanks
Paurush

Noozer

jilapau said:
Hi,

I have this same problem since upgrading my RAM to 2GB and I rely on
hibernation a lot. Could you please inform me where to get the hotfix.
There is no download option on this page.

Is your HDD FAT or NTFS?

Have you tried turning off Hibernate, restart, and turn it back on?

Malke

jilapau said:
Hi,

I have this same problem since upgrading my RAM to 2GB and I rely on
hibernation a lot. Could you please inform me where to get the
hotfix. There is no download option on this page.

If you go back to the page you will see where to contact MS for the
hotfix. Hotfixes are not available for general download. Getting a
hotfix is extremely easy and free.

MS phone number for hot fixes in USA - 800-936-5700

MS International Support -
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Malke

Michel Merlin

The related message below may help. In short, call Microsoft and
ask "I want the hotfix of KB909095"; MS will send you a free
2.5MB file that fixes the problem.

Paris, Thu 17 Aug 2006 15:52:10 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
From: "jilapau" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/[email protected]
Sent: Tue 13 Jun 2006 02:57:02 -0700 (09:57:02 GMT)
Subject: Re: Insufficient resources to complete the API when
hibernating: w

Hi,

Michael Moser said:
Thanks - that solved the problem. Had to search for the kernel
replacements but at least that accurately described the bug
and pointed me to the solution.

I only wonder, why MS doesn't provide the update file right
there and then, but requires people to come and beg for them.
:-(

Michael

----- Related Message (links are clickable) -----
From: "Michel Merlin" <[email protected]>