Installing Windows XP from 2000 - PLEASE HELP!

Maria

I was intalling Windows XP Pro and ran into a problem
when I was almost done. I got a fatal error. (See below)

When I try to restart in safe mode, it won't let me.
Also what is the file 'asms' It also asks me that before
installing.... HELP!!!! PLEASE!!

Heres the fatal error message!!:

I was trying to install Windows XP Professional,
(upgrade) and I was in the 2nd to last stage (Installing
Windows), then I received an error message. A window
popped up with a "Fatal Error":

"An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from
continuing
One of the components that Windows need to continue Setup
could not be installed
Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)
If you are installing from a CD, there might be a problem
with the disc, try cleaning the disc or using another disc
Press ok to view Setup log."

The Log has the following messsages:

Error Log: "Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms
Error Message: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

Operation was cancelled by the user.
Error: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file.
E:\I386\asms\101001\MSFT\\Windows\GDIPLUS.Man on Line 4

Error: Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms. Error
message. The system cannot find file specified

Error: Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms.Error Message.
Manifest Parse Error
Invalid at the top level of the document.

Then once I close the message, it restarts
automatically. Then it tries to reinstall Windows XP
again and same cylcle begins. It just keeps going through
the errors and then restarting. I can't stop the
installation process. I tried to run it in Safe Mode so I
can possible uninstall Windows XP but it says it cannot
run Safe Mode in XP and just restarts normally. Wanting
me to continue set up and then I try to put my CD in
again and I get the same error...

I did what it told me to do, I tried cleaning my cd and
then I even borrowed my sisters CD and both dont work.
How do I get it to stop? I just want to uninstall it now
but I can't stop the process, it automatically goes to
the installation screen.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

A "Manifest Parse Error" is indicative of a bad CD. Use the
original Windows XP installation CD. If you are using it,
then request a replacement.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

"Manifest Parse Invalid at the Top Level of the Document" Error Message When
You Try to Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331881&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Maria" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I was intalling Windows XP Pro and ran into a problem
| when I was almost done. I got a fatal error. (See below)
|
| When I try to restart in safe mode, it won't let me.
| Also what is the file 'asms' It also asks me that before
| installing.... HELP!!!! PLEASE!!
|
| Heres the fatal error message!!:
|

| I was trying to install Windows XP Professional,
| (upgrade) and I was in the 2nd to last stage (Installing
| Windows), then I received an error message. A window
| popped up with a "Fatal Error":
|
| "An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from
| continuing
| One of the components that Windows need to continue Setup
| could not be installed
| Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)
| If you are installing from a CD, there might be a problem
| with the disc, try cleaning the disc or using another disc
| Press ok to view Setup log."
|
| The Log has the following messsages:
|
| Error Log: "Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms
| Error Message: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)
|
| Operation was cancelled by the user.
| Error: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file.
| E:\I386\asms\101001\MSFT\\Windows\GDIPLUS.Man on Line 4
|
| Error: Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms. Error
| message. The system cannot find file specified
|
| Error: Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms.Error Message.
| Manifest Parse Error
| Invalid at the top level of the document.
|
| Then once I close the message, it restarts
| automatically. Then it tries to reinstall Windows XP
| again and same cylcle begins. It just keeps going through
| the errors and then restarting. I can't stop the
| installation process. I tried to run it in Safe Mode so I
| can possible uninstall Windows XP but it says it cannot
| run Safe Mode in XP and just restarts normally. Wanting
| me to continue set up and then I try to put my CD in
| again and I get the same error...
|
| I did what it told me to do, I tried cleaning my cd and
| then I even borrowed my sisters CD and both dont work.
| How do I get it to stop? I just want to uninstall it now
| but I can't stop the process, it automatically goes to
| the installation screen.

Maria

Yes, I am using the original. I will ask for a
replacement but how do I get rid of the error for now?
And go back to another Windows OS? Can I still go back to
my Windows 98? I can't seem to go back to it anymore?
Can I install another Windows OS?

Please help, I'm very new to all of this....

.