Installing second SATA hard drive

Greg Werdin

I am trying to install a second SATA hard drive in my DELL. The bios
sees, Windows XP sees the hardware and says its working ok. The Disk
Management tool does not see it nor does windows explorer see it.
What do I do to get the drive up to format etc?

JustMe

Greg Werdin said:
I am trying to install a second SATA hard drive in my DELL. The bios
sees, Windows XP sees the hardware and says its working ok. The Disk
Management tool does not see it nor does windows explorer see it.
What do I do to get the drive up to format etc?
Greg Werdin

If Disk Management doesn't see the drive nor Windows Explorer, exactly what
part of XP sees the drive. You made the statement "Windows XP sees the
hardware and says its working ok", so what part of Windows XP see the drive?

DL

Perhaps your new sata drive is sata2 and your sata controler is sata1, if so
set the jumper on the new hd to sata1

Greg Werdin

JustMe said:
"Greg Werdin" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I am trying to install a second SATA hard drive in my DELL. The bios
sees, Windows XP sees the hardware and says its working ok. The Disk
Management tool does not see it nor does windows explorer see it.
What do I do to get the drive up to format etc?
Greg Werdin-

If Disk Management doesn't see the drive nor Windows Explorer, exactl
what
part of XP sees the drive. You made the statement "Windows XP sees th

hardware and says its working ok", so what part of Windows XP see th
drive?

The Windows system hardware sees the new drive. I can go to the syste
hardware in my computer and see the new drive under drives clic
properties and it says its working. But can not see it in window
explore

Andy

The Windows system hardware sees the new drive. I can go to the system
hardware in my computer and see the new drive under drives click
properties and it says its working. But can not see it in windows
explorer

Windows Explorer can only show valid partitions. If the drive appears
in Device Manager, then it should appear in Disk Management, where it
would be partitioned and formatted.

JustMe

Greg Werdin said:
The Windows system hardware sees the new drive. I can go to the system
hardware in my computer and see the new drive under drives click
properties and it says its working. But can not see it in windows
explorer

If what you are referring to is Device Manager seeing the drive then I would
agree with Andy, that Disk Management should see it also. Take another look
with Disk Management. You need to partition and format it there for it to
be seen in Windows Explorer.

Greg Werdin

--
Greg Werdin-

If what you are referring to is Device Manager seeing the drive then
would
agree with Andy, that Disk Management should see it also. Take anothe
look
with Disk Management. You need to partition and format it there for i
be seen in Windows Explorer.

That's exactly correcot "Disk Management should see it also." But wh
doesn't it. It shows up in the bios, it shows up in Divice Manager bu
why not in disk management? My first serial works fine yet it also doe
not show up in disk management what's going on

blacklotus90

DL said:
Perhaps your new sata drive is sata2 and your sata controler is sata1, if so
set the jumper on the new hd to sata1

There are no jumpers on SATA hard drives other than 150/300Mbps. Master
and Slave is something present only in IDE drives. SATA automatically
configures itself, and is even hot swappable on some controllers.

Anyway, about the problem, I don't know how you could solve it. Have
you tried using any bootdisks? If not, I recommend Hiren's BootCD or
UBCD, they have a ton of diagnostic utilities for HDD's on them.

Eric P.

blacklotus90 said:
There are no jumpers on SATA hard drives other than 150/300Mbps. Master
and Slave is something present only in IDE drives. SATA automatically
configures itself, and is even hot swappable on some controllers.

Anyway, about the problem, I don't know how you could solve it. Have
you tried using any bootdisks? If not, I recommend Hiren's BootCD or
UBCD, they have a ton of diagnostic utilities for HDD's on them.
Maybe no jumpers at all but on my Hitachi HDT722516DLA380 160GB SATA
harddisk I can change quite a number of properties by using the Hitachi
Feature Tool instead to make it usable.

The Feature Tool allows you to:
Enable or disable the read-ahead or write cache.
Change the drive Automatic Acoustic Management settings to the:
Lowest acoustic emanation setting (Quiet Seek Mode), or
Maximum performance level (Normal Seek Mode).
Change the predefined capacity of the drive. This option can be used in
situations where there is a BIOS limitation and the drive is not
recognized. See the Users Guide for specific details.
Switch the Ultra DMA mode
Change Advanced Power Mode - allows you to change between the lowest
power consumption and the highest power consumption (maximum performance
level).
Show Drive Temperature - shows the current drive temperature in Celsius
and Fahrenheit.
Configure SATA interface - adjust maximum speed and enable/disable
Spread Spectrum Clocking.
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

The problem disk might be too advanced for the Dell.

Greg Werdin

Eric said:
blacklotus90 wrote:-
DL wrote:
-
[...]

Thank you all for your time.... I will try to look at the Featur
tool... it sounds interesting. What I was able to do was find a fdis
type program online and used it to actuate the drive and format it an
everything works fine....it still does not show up in the dis
management program but then neither does the c: drive but everything i
now working and I am happy. So thanks everyone again

DL

Cobblers