Outlook Installing Outlook 2007

Reaction score
I wish to replace outlook 2003 with Outlook 2007 but must uninstall 2003 first. What I need to know is, are the pst. files lost in the uninstall and if they are not lost does the new installation detect and use them? Also am I correct in assuming that Address book and Account setup info is included in the pst. files?

John H

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't answer specifically whether any of this information is lost/preserved in the upgrade but what I would do regardless is make a backup. Use File>Export to export address book and details. Move all your mail into an archive and locate the .PST file of the archive, usually C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, copy this to somewhere safe.

Regardless of what happens during the upgrade you should be easily able to restore mail and account.

Reaction score
I have copied both the outlook and archive pst. files. The suggested method for backing up the address book via "file-export" does not appear to work in outlook 2003.
what I need reasurance about, is whether or not, the address book and account settings are included in the pst. files?
John h.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, for the advice, none of the procedures offered led to a satisfactory conclusion, so I backed up the pst file (unnecessarily as it turned out) and installed office 2007. The outcome was a seamless transition with all data being transferred from OL 2003 to OL 2007. The only problem is that I no longer have an address book, only a contacts list. I have not found a way to copy the contacts list to the address book.

John H.

Reaction score
If it works the same way as Outlook 2003 then you need to select the Contacts Folder Right-Click and select Outllok Address Book tab and Click "Show this folder as an e-mail address book."

If it doesn't work the same way as Outlook 2003 - sorry.

Ask a Question