Installing apps fail with MSAS running

Kerry

Hello,

I have noticed that trying to install new applications
will almost always fail (lock up) with MS AntiSpyware
Beta1 running. This behavior has been observed on four
different Windows XP computers (1 is running XP Pro, the
other three are running XP Home - all SP2; 3 Pentium 4
and 1 AMD, all name brand boxes: Dell, Compaq, & HP).

The applications vary, all appear to be using standard
MSI installations (though one application, a Kid's game,
used an old SETUP.EXE installer).

In every case, the install would launch, but then lock up
during initialization or installation. As soon as I
disabled MSAS Real-Time Protection, the installs would
proceed flawlessly. Also, the applications would work
fine after installation, (with or without re-enabling
MSAS Real-Time Protection).

Is this behavior common with MSAS Beta1? If so, will the
Release Candidate exhibit the same behavior? Lavasoft's
Ad-Aware products do not interfere with application
installations in this manner. I am hopeful that the
production release of MSAS will allow normal application
installations without disabling MSAS before attempting an
install of a new app.

-Kerry-

D@annyBoy

it is advisable to shut down all running applications including anti virus when
installing new software

Kerry

I don't want to shut down system protection processes
when installing new products. If a new product has
harmful code in it, and if all system protection
processes are shut down so the install can take place,
then I have just left my computer wide open to disaster.

I have been in the IT business for over 25 years, you are
not talkkie to a newbie. If you will note in my original
message I indicated that Lavasoft's Ad-Aware did not
interfere with application and game installs when it was
running in the background. MS AntiSpyware does
interfere. Norton Antivirus, which I have also been
using for longer than I can remember, also rarely
interferes with an app or game install. On those rare
occassions when there is a conflict with NAV, the product
usually indicates that NAV will prevent the install from
being successful and it is suggested that NAV be stopped
to install the product.

I can count on one hand the number of times over the past
10 years or so I have had to shut down NAV to install a
new product. And over the past two years I can tell you
I have had to shut down Ad-Aware exactly 0 times.

With MS AntiSpyware, I have had to shut it down over 90%
of the time to install an app or game.

-Kerry-

Gunilla

I agree with you Kerry that MSAS in some way are interfering the setups of
some programs and even when running a batch or script file. I use to shut
down MSAS before installing a new app. or running any script or batch file,
but reactivate it again after it is done. One thing though to think about
after reactivating MSAS is to look at the Security Agents Status because I
have noticed they are disabled after one or two shutdowns.

Gunilla.

D@annyBoy

I'm sorry that I don't normally follow threads after a lapse of time

I am a home computer user and have no formal knowledge of computing. In my 10
years of surfing the net,
many advised that all processes should be shut down before installing new
applications. How can a new product be harmful if you scan it with at least 3
AV to ensure that it's virus free? You are talking to a newbie who knows how to
keep his sytem free. Use common sense. Sorry, you can't get it from books.

When installing new software, do you ever read the recommendations?

D@annyBoy

can you provide more info on

quote
One thing though to think about
after reactivating MSAS is to look at the Security Agents Status because I
have noticed they are disabled after one or two shutdowns.

unquote

Kerry

did you know that microsoft antispyware is beta so its
not completely effective it has bug on it.

Yes, I know it's Beta. Did you read my post? I was
reporting an observation to MS BECAUSE it's Beta - that
is what you do with Beta testing. You look for problems
and report them to the publisher.
when you install applications its always better to turn
off antivirus and antispyware as they can interferre
with the software installation. one good example
is the recent SP2,

No, that is not a good example. SP2 is not an
APPLICATION. Do you know the difference between an
APPLICATION and an OPERATING SYSTEM?
plus it should be safe to install if you know what
applications it is and a trusted known application like
popular company.

Wrong. There are at least three documented cases of
popular companies publishing known applications on
distribution install CD's that were infected with a virus.

-Kerry-

When installing new software, do you ever read the
recommendations?

Yes, and as I said in another post in this thread, I have
had to shut down NAV only a few times in ten years to
install an application, and I have NEVER had to shut down
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware to successfully install an
application. But I have had to disable it on occasion
when using some web sites that implements "pop-up"
windows as part of their normal functionality.

-Kerry-

D@annyBoy

I don't know who you responded to BUT

this is public beta testing not private beta testing
SP2 is not an application, it's a service pack
What's a service pack?

Do you know that many users are having problems in applying SPs to both the OS
and MS Office?
and the fault lies with the users rather than MS

quote
popular companies publishing known applications on
distribution install CD's that were infected with a virus.
unquote

name them so that no one will ever use their software

Kerry wrote in news:[email protected]

D@annyBoy

I recommend that you shut down everything

What has Lavasoft's Ad-Aware got to do with installing applications?

it doesn't so realtime protection and so, what's your point?

grow up, will you?

<[email protected] wrote in

Kerry

What has Lavasoft's Ad-Aware got to do with installing
applications?

Lavasoft's Ad-Aware is a competing product to MS
AntiSpyware. Ad-Aware does not prevent application
installations. MSAS does prevent some installations.
That is information that the makers of MSAS might like to
know. So I reported it.
it doesn't so realtime protection and so, what's your
point?

My point is that you are obviously a troll or an idiot.
Lavasoft's Ad-Aware certainly DOES do real-time
protection, if you paid for it rather than simply use the
free version.
grow up, will you?

Educate yourself. Then come back here when you know what
you are talking about.

-Kerry-

Gunilla

Here you have it D@nnyBoy as quoted from my thread with Bill Sanderson in
the security.spyware.signatures NG on 2005.03.26.

Okay...I have checked all kinds of situations with MSAS and the things I
have on my PC and can say that the MSAS is disabled only when I shut it down
completely by right clicking the icon on the system tray and after rebooting
instead of running it again via Start--> Program, but if I run it again
before rebooting it has the real time protection enabled after a reboot.

So it must be that the real time protection becomes disabled, for some
reason, by shutting it down and not running it again and the reboot is not
enabling the protection again. This is what I have found out on my system,
at least.
Unquote.

but it may have been changed after the latest update.

Gunilla.

D@annyBoy

can you try this?

after disable MSAS and reboot, check whether it is running in the background
using Task manager?

Gunilla

Hi D@nnyBoy.

Yes I can see it in the Task Manager...gcasServ.exe and gcasDtServ.exe but
right-clicking the MSAS on the system tray I can see it has the Security
Agents Status is set as disabled i.e the real-time protection is not
running. Have you tried? What if you do it and see if it is the same for
you? That would be interesting.

Gunilla

D@annyBoy

OK will try and remember to test this the next time I intend to reboot my
system.

I'm still not sure whether this is a bug or feature, but any attempts to meddle
with MSAS will make the icon disappear, but it is still running.

D@annyBoy

not sure whether the results would help

I disabled MSAS real time protection and check that it's not running in the
background.
Reboot and check that it's still not running in the background until I enable it
and it is running in the background.

Despite all the advise I get, I am running as an admin in my laptop. No other
users are available.
(maybe that's why I don't have no much problems like limited accounts and blah
blah blah)

Although MS would encourage testers to test MSAS under different situations, I
wouldn't :)

I have a thought though.
Since many users are using similar applications to clean and protect their
systems, maybe someone can write up a batch file to combine the updating and
running processes.

What I really want from the MSAS's developers in a button to reboot into safe
mode and run a full scan of MSAS.

Gunilla

Hi.

About the Real Time Protection and that it is being disabled....it just
happens once in a while, not every time, so I guess if you want to test my
findings you maybe have to do it more than one time.

Otherwise, I agree that it would be very handy with MSAS going into safe
mode without the user having to reboot and tapping the F8 key.

Gunilla