From: "Claire Lanman" <[email protected]>
Subject: Installer problem
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:25:15 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications

Everytime I try to install a third party software I get
the following error message

THE WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE COULD NOT BE ACCESSED.
THIS CAN OCCUR IF YOU ARE STARTING YOUR COMPUTER IN SAFE
MODE, OR IF THE WINDOWS INSTALLER IS NOT CORRECTLY
INSTALLED.

Will reinstalling the windows 2000 program correct this,
and I won't have to do a clean install will I.

Thankyou for your help in advance.
--

Claire,

Try using the following steps:

1) Log on to your computer as an administrator.
2) Click Start, and then click Run.
3) In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4) At the command prompt, type msiexec.exe /unregister, and then press ENTER.
5) Type msiexec /regserver, and then press ENTER.

This will unregister and then reregister the Windows Installer engine.

If the above does not resolve the issue verify that the SYSTEM account has Full Control access permissions to the
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive in the Windows registry. In some cases, you may also have to add Administrator accounts.

To do so:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your
operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor
incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Click Start, click Run, type regedt32, for Windows 2000, or regedit, for Windows XP, in the Open box, and then click OK.
Click the following registry hive: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
On the Security menu click Perminssions, for Windows 2000, or on the Edit menu click Permissions, for Windows XP.
If SYSTEM is not listed in the Group or user names list, click Add, make sure that the local computer name appears in
the From this location box, type system in the Enter the object names to select box, click Check Names, and then click OK.
Click SYSTEM in the Group or user names list, and then select the Full Control check box under Allow in the Permissions
for SYSTEM box.
Click Apply, click OK, and then quit Registry Editor.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.