Installation of Windows XP on Toshiba Satellite P10-804

Sydney Delieu

Hello All,

I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite P10-804 and also
purchased Windows XP Professional (as the P10-804 comes
with Windows XP Home).

When I try to install XP Pro on my P10-804, it freezes
just before the GUI should appear.

I have called Toshiba, and they tell me that Windows XP
Professional is not compatible with all hardware, and that
I should contact Microsoft.

Is there anyway I can install XP Pro on my P10-804?

Regards,
Sydney Delieu.

Richard Urban

They are blowing smoke up your arse! Any hardware that is usable in Windows
Home is also usable in Windows XP Professional.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Jim Macklin

Are you doing a clean install or upgrade? There may be
special Toshiba drivers for the laptop that are not on the
retail XP Pro.

Try the upgrade path. It should keep all the XP drivers
that are already loaded.

in message | They are blowing smoke up your arse! Any hardware that is

wrote in message
| | > Hello All,
| >
| > I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite P10-804 and also
| > purchased Windows XP Professional (as the P10-804 comes
| > with Windows XP Home).
| >
| > When I try to install XP Pro on my P10-804, it freezes
| > just before the GUI should appear.
| >
| > I have called Toshiba, and they tell me that Windows XP
| > Professional is not compatible with all hardware, and
that
| > I should contact Microsoft.
| >
| > Is there anyway I can install XP Pro on my P10-804?
| >
| > Regards,
| > Sydney Delieu.

Yves Leclerc

Toshiba is "passing the buck" because the laptop is supposed to be running
Home and not Pro. Since you want to use Pro, they will not help you.

Y.

Sydney Delieu

Thanks for the replies. Not very encouraging. To answer
you question Jim - yes, I have tried doing a clean
install, even to the point where I FDISK the drive first
using a DOS bootable floppy. I have also tried upgrading
the pre-installed Windows XP Home - still freezes at the
same place.

I have spent days trying to install XP Pro, but with no
joy.

The Toshiba support person knew straight away what I was
talking about, and did mention that "...this is a common
problem with Toshiba's...".

At the moment I'm now having to use my desktop PC for XP
Pro specific stuff (IIS).

Anyway, thanks once again for all your replies.

Regards,
Sydney Delieu.

Sydney Delieu

Hi Yves,

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you
say "Toshiba is passing the buck". They even went so far
as to 'warn' (it was more like a threat) me that if I
installed XP Pro, then it would null and void my warranty.

In the past I have always gone with Toshiba laptops (I
upgrade about every 18 months). Think I'm going to look at
a Dell next time.

Regards,
Sydney Delieu.

Kevin Mullins

Hi Sydney,

I had exactly the same problem as you. Try pressing "F7" at the point
where it says "Windows is examining your hardware configuration" (just
before the blue install screen I think).

This will force install to skip the Hardware test. It worked for me.
I believe the fault lies with the NVidia graphics card and another
option is to switch that out and replace it with another/older one.

I too spoke to Toshiba who basically said "The machine is only
designed for XM Home" - at which point I explained the reasoning
behind the "Designed for Windows XP" sticker that they have on the
machines and the fact that if it is only designed for XP Home they
should inform Microsoft who will revoke their XP Licence.

Silly buggers....

Hope that helps you out anyway.

Kevin Mullins

mrothl

Hi,

I managed to install XP Professional on P10-804 (F7 workaround). After
that I tried to install Toshiba drivers (Tools & Utilites CD-ROM). I
couldn't install some of the drivers. I tried with Service Pack 1a and
(Tools & Utilities CD-ROM) afterwards. I stil had probles with some of
the devices:
- USB Controller
- Wireless LAN Driver
- Compal E-POWER Driver

Did anybody mange to solve this?

Thanks,

Miha

Jim Macklin

You need to have downloaded and perhaps burned XP drivers
for each of those from Toshiba. If they are not available,
you probably should NOT have tried the upgrade.

| Hi,
|
| I managed to install XP Professional on P10-804 (F7
workaround). After
| that I tried to install Toshiba drivers (Tools & Utilites
CD-ROM). I
| couldn't install some of the drivers. I tried with Service
Pack 1a and
| (Tools & Utilities CD-ROM) afterwards. I stil had probles
with some of
| the devices:
| - USB Controller
| - Wireless LAN Driver
| - Compal E-POWER Driver
|
| Did anybody mange to solve this?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Miha

Kevin Mullins

Hi,

I managed to install XP Professional on P10-804 (F7 workaround). After
that I tried to install Toshiba drivers (Tools & Utilites CD-ROM). I
couldn't install some of the drivers. I tried with Service Pack 1a and
(Tools & Utilities CD-ROM) afterwards. I stil had probles with some of
the devices:
- USB Controller
- Wireless LAN Driver
- Compal E-POWER Driver

Did anybody mange to solve this?

Thanks,

Miha

The only thing I couldn't get to work was the Compaq E-Power driver
and because of that I still don't have any power management on the
machine. Tosh quite blatently told me that that machine does not
support XP Pro and that I shouldn't have upgraded. I told them that
they have the "Built for XP" sticker on the machine and it doesn't say
anything about being built only for XP Home. I've reported the
machine to Microsoft who hopefully will revoke Tosh's XP Pro licence
for this machine. It will be a Dell for me next time I'm afraid - The
tosh is a great machine but scalability and customer support is
clearly not one of Tosh's greater features.

Kevin