install WindowsMe on XP machine

J

Janice

My machine was running XP.
Is it possible to install and run WindowsMe instead of XP?
I want all my application without being removed.
Thanx a lot.

D

David Candy

No. "I want all my application without being removed" is what the NO refers to.

J

Janice

All applications will be removed if I fallback from XP to WinME?
Do you suggest I do this for the reason that the XP was seriously attacked
by the blaster worm?
Thanx

"David Candy" <[email protected]>
???????:#[email protected]...
No. "I want all my application without being removed" is what the NO refers
to.

D

David Candy

No. If your XP was correctly setup you were immune to this worm. If you downloaded the patch even if you weren't correctly setup you were immune to the worm. The worm exploits a bug in a component of windows that SHOULD NEVER BE EXPOSED to an hostile environment. If you used XP's inbuilt tools to configure your internet you were immune. If you used an ISP's CD that was designed for any windows operating system to configure your internet you were vulnerable. This particular bug is NT (NT4, Win 2000, Win XP, Win 2003) specific. Most things like this apply to ME as well as XP (in fact more apply to ME than XP), XP has inbuilt protection and ME doesn't. If this bug affected ME as well every ME machine would fall victim rather than only mis-configured XP machines (and Win 2000).

If your XP machine was correctly configured, or if connected to a network your network was correctly configured, you are immune to this worm.

Unfortunately something like this shows the number of misconfigured computers on the web. I was experimenting with creating dialup connections by programming and I was vulnerable for a few minutes cause I created mis configured connections.

Start - Connect To - right click your ISP connection - Properties - Advanced - Enable Firewall and most things that don't require an act of stupidity from you will pass you by. Most worms try to trick you to giving permission to run (this one didn't) - this is what is known as an act of stupidity. If you are prone to acts like this I have a good second hand bridge for sale. It's called the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It's worth heaps mate. Two mill for you, do we have a deal?

B

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

If you performed an upgrade from Win98/Me, elected to backup the
old system files, and didn't convert the partition to NTFS, then all
you need do is boot into Safe Mode and Start > Control Panel >
Add/Remove Programs. All of these conditions _must_ be met for the
uninstall option to be available.

Otherwise:

How to Manually Remove Win XP and Restore Win9x
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q314052

Bruce Chambers