Start>Control Panel>Add Hardware, added a generic printer, added my HP-have
the disc for the software, and HP driver is built into friggin' Vista!! Went
to manufacturer site also. Got,"Printer driver not installed.Operation could
not be completed(error 0xe0000101)." in the add hardware thing. This exact
printer used to work on this exact Vista. NOW what the heck?! This is legally
& rightfully MY FRIGGIN' hardware & software and whomever/whatever is
stupidly (purposely OR accidentally) interfering w/ proper function should
really just die off or go away and let those of us who want/need to do our
thing just do our thing. Is there a problem with this idea/suggestion?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

While your HP printer is connected to your computer
and turned on:

Visit the Windows Update web site and click on
"Check for updates". After the scan is complete,
click on "View available updates". Hopefully,
a driver for your HP printer will be offered.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience -
Windows Vista Enthusiast

---------------------------------------------------------------

:

I can't seem to get Vista to let me install my HP printer. I've tried

C

CelestialBabe

The only thing offered is KB936330 (service pack one). I'm not sure I want
it. Isn't vista svc pack 1 the whole prob behind not being able to install
KB929729? What's the diff between important, critical, etc when it comes to
evaluating the levels of updates?

B

Bob W

Uninstall the printer completely. Disconnect it. Rim the INSTALL program from the maker (HP). Follow instructions on screen. That should do it. I too have Vista. Running on HP DV9500 laptop with my Canon printer connected via Bluetooth. Works Ok for me.
Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

I can't seem to get Vista to let me install my HP printer. I've tried

B

Bob W

You want SP1, definitely. Just be sure to turn off your virus program before you try to update. Takes several hours and several reboots - all automatic, so don't worry. If you are running Norton, you will probably need to fully uninstall it before you update (I would not re-install it as it does not play well with Vista - at all. That in itself may fix your problem. Other then that, I'd get the disk that came with the computer or go to HP support site and down load the install program for you printer model and Vista.

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

The only thing offered is KB936330 (service pack one). I'm not sure I want
it. Isn't vista svc pack 1 the whole prob behind not being able to install
KB929729? What's the diff between important, critical, etc when it comes to
evaluating the levels of updates?

B

Bob W

Vista, out of the box, is, frankly, a big mess. Lots of problems, lots of bugs, unstable. One of Microsoft's worse ideas yet. They have been putting out little patches (updates) all during the past year. The SP1 is a BIG fix for, at last count, more than 400 needed hot fixes that speed up Vista, makes it faster, speed up the boot and make it and IE7 more stable, and fixes a bunch of security issues and more. Lots more. Trust me, you want it!

XP, when it first came out, was not quite as bad, but it was no walk in the park out of the box either. It has gone thru Service Pack 1, then SP2, and, just last month, SP3. XP now runs very well. Faster than Vista, more stable right now. Perhaps not as secure and not as many features and bells and whistles as Vista. Vista SP1 is the first step in maturing the Vista product. Get it.

What's the big deal about svc pack one?

C

Colin Barnhorst

Your experience is quite different from mine. None of my Vista installations are anything other than out-of-the box and I don't have problems with any of them.
Vista, out of the box, is, frankly, a big mess. Lots of problems, lots of bugs, unstable. One of Microsoft's worse ideas yet. They have been putting out little patches (updates) all during the past year. The SP1 is a BIG fix for, at last count, more than 400 needed hot fixes that speed up Vista, makes it faster, speed up the boot and make it and IE7 more stable, and fixes a bunch of security issues and more. Lots more. Trust me, you want it!

XP, when it first came out, was not quite as bad, but it was no walk in the park out of the box either. It has gone thru Service Pack 1, then SP2, and, just last month, SP3. XP now runs very well. Faster than Vista, more stable right now. Perhaps not as secure and not as many features and bells and whistles as Vista. Vista SP1 is the first step in maturing the Vista product. Get it.

T

Trevor

Yes I can second that one -- My SP1 works 100% provided you have the latest drivers installed -- it seems to be very fineky when it comes to drivers. With printers I found that sometimes you have to go the Cointrol Panel == Printers -- Add Printer route to install your printer and not following the auto install that comes on the installation disk.

Trevor

Your experience is quite different from mine. None of my Vista installations are anything other than out-of-the box and I don't have problems with any of them.

Ask a Question