Inheriting file permissions

G

I am having a problem with inheritance of file permissions. My File server is running Windows 2003, most clients are running Windows 2000 or Windows NT.
Users are required to move files from many different different folders into an approval folder. The approval folder has strict permissions on it. The document is editing and then moved back to its original folder. It should then inherit the permissions of the folder it is being moved back to. However it is keeping the permissions of the previous approvals folder it was just in. The documents always have the box ticked to inherit permissions of the parent folder. How can I resolve this issue?

D

Dale Weiss

Hello,

Are the directories being moved from and to on the same volume?

Dale Weiss MCSA MCSE CISSP
PSS Security

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Any opinions or policies stated within are my own and do not necessarily
constitute those of my employer. Use of included script samples are subject
to the terms
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

M

Michael Bednarek

I am having a problem with inheritance of file permissions. My File server is running Windows 2003, most clients are running Windows 2000 or Windows NT.
Users are required to move files from many different different folders into an approval folder. The approval folder has strict permissions on it. The document is editing and then moved back to its original folder. It should then inherit the permissions of the folder it is being moved back to. However it is keeping the permissions of the previous approvals folder it was just in. The documents always have the box ticked to inherit permissions of the parent folder. How can I resolve this issue?

[Please hit the Enter key every 72 characters or so.]

Don't move them, copy them.

G

Yeah they are moving to the same volum

----- Dale Weiss (MSFT) wrote: ----

Hello

Are the directories being moved from and to on the same volume

Dale Weiss MCSA MCSE CISS
PSS Securit

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
Any opinions or policies stated within are my own and do not necessaril
constitute those of my employer. Use of included script samples are subjec
to the term
specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.ht

G

A copy and paste does not work. When you copy the document to the approval folder then edit it. It doesn't inherit the permissions of the approval folder until you edit the document. Then when you copy the document back, it still has the permission of the approval folde

----- Michael Bednarek wrote: ----

Users are required to move files from many different different folders into an approval folder. The approval folder has strict permissions on it. The document is editing and then moved back to its original folder. It should then inherit the permissions of the folder it is being moved back to. However it is keeping the permissions of the previous approvals folder it was just in. The documents always have the box ticked to inherit permissions of the parent folder. How can I resolve this issue

[Please hit the Enter key every 72 characters or so.

Don't move them, copy them

M

Michael Bednarek

A copy and paste does not work. When you copy the document to the approval folder then edit it. It doesn't inherit the permissions of the approval folder until you edit the document. Then when you copy the document back, it still has the permission of the approval folder

I don't understand your second sentence.

If you move a file, it will retain its permissions. If you copy it, it
will inherit the target folder's permissions. Editing a file with MS
Word (and probably with other programs as well) will create a new file
which will inherit the current folder's permission.

Here's how I understand your situation:
You copy a file from the work area into the approval area. The file
still has the original permissions. Then you edit it. MS Word will not
retain the original permissions, but will create a new file which
inherits the permissions of the approval folder. If you now move that
file back into the work area, it will retain the permissions from the
approval folder - copy it instead.

How you get the files from the work area into the approval folder
doesn't matter, because after editing the file will have the approval
folder's permissions.

[And please hit the Enter key every 72 characters or so.]
----- Michael Bednarek wrote: -----

[Please hit the Enter key every 72 characters or so.]

Don't move them, copy them.

Ask a Question