Incomplete File downloads from a Browser

Irv Spalten

This has been an ongoing random problem on this specific XP Pro SP 2 system.

System is a Dell XPS Gen5, 2GB memory, and a wired LAN setup via Cable
modem.

Specifics...

- Large files, those over 20MB's usually.
- Browsers tried and fail on IE 6 and 7 and FireFox 1.5 and 2.0.
- Machine has 2 NIC's, both Broadcom, one PCI and the other on
motherboard.
- Repeated tries of d/l gets different amount of file down, but
never the complete file.
- Trying on different days doesn't fix it usually.
- A different system on the LAN can get the files down without
problems.

Conclusions :

- Problem is not the NIC used.
- Problem is not the browser used.
- Problem is not the Router
- Problem is not the Cable Modem.

I looked at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q299357 and
followed that and it still didn't 'fix it'.

So, I feel the problem is within this computer.

A file I can not bring down on this computer is
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/ihs/CSC.2.1.946.exe

In a few instances, I found stopping the AV will allow the file to come
down and complete, but not the one above.

I've tried Safe Mode with Networking and it will not come down. Yet on
the other system no problem at all? It too is a Dell, older system, and
1/2 the speed of this one with 1/2 the memory.

I suspect a loss of a packet going back to the sender of the file.

So far, I've hit about 5 files like this in the last few months.

Anyone know how to debug this or have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Irv Spalten

db

i use a freeware
called free download manager.

saves me all the headaches
and wasted time spent on
incomplete downloads...

- db
[...]

jack

[...]

I agree, db......has a resume capability. Can even close prog down and
it will pick up where it left off.

db said the following On 3/18/2007 11:33 AM:
*i use a freeware*
*called free download manager.*
**
*saves me all the headaches*
*and wasted time spent on*
*incomplete downloads...*
**
*- db*

"Irv Spalten" <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
wrote in message This has been an ongoing random problem on this specific XP Pro SP 2
[...]

Thanks, got it and it can and did get the complete file...

db

you're welcome.