In Word, how can I place a bar above a letter to show a mean?


Greg Maxey

A very polite way to say what we have all (but one that is) has come to
accept. The method doesn't work.

Greg Maxey

If you want to divert to lessons then I suggest you take and apply one on

Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site

It's about time you learned a lesson in politeness from Suzanne.
May 18, 2021
Reaction score
Hi Peter,

The OP referred to adding an overbar or macron to the letter x. When I type
x and then 0305 as you suggested, I have x0305 with my cursor after the 5. In
this case when I press Alt+X, nothing happens. If I insert a space after the
x, Alt+X does convert the number into an overbar, but the two characters do
not align properly even when I remove the space between them.

To put a bar above say letter A, type A followed by 0305 and then highlight 0305 before pressing Alt X.

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question