Import spec file

T

Tcs

About 2 years ago, I was running Access 2000. I created import file specs for some text files
(approx 1116, in 93 sets of 12) I had to import. For all the spec files I created, I actually had
two (2) sets, because I was dealing with two (2) types of data (live & history), even though the
source databases & exported data files were structurally IDENTICAL.

Now that I seem to have some of that mythical "spare time", I'm back working on this project. I
have since upgraded to Access 2003 (although 'default' file format still set for Access 2000). I
have successfully imported all of my "Live" data, last week, but am having a bit of difficulty with
my "History" data. It seems that one of my spec files is wrong. Since it *should* match that of
the "Live" db, I wanted to just copy/export/import the correct spec file from the "Live" db to
replace the incorrect spec file in the "Hisory" db. But I don't seem to be able to do this. I can
check the "system" & "hidden" objects under "Tools", but it looks much different than I remember
from two (2) years ago. So I made a new spec file...MANUALLY.

....BUT...

Even after doing this, I still have the same problem. Access is trying to tell me that one or more
field names do not, in fact, exist. And I have a faint recollection that trying to "update" an
existing spec file may...or may not...work. So...

Anyone know *IF* I can, and if so, *HOW* I can copy a spec file from one Access 2003 .mdb file to
another? And if I can *NOT*...any suggestions?

Thank you very much, in advance,

Tom

J

John Nurick

Hi Tom,

There's no built-in method for copying individual import/export specs
(they're not files, they're stored in the system tables). You can import
all the specs in one .mdb file into another by doing File|Get External
Data|Import and clicking the Options>> button on the Import Objects
dialog.

If you enjoy experimenting with the system tables, the specs are stored
in MSysIMEXSpecs and MSysIMEXColumns.