Import Publisher file to Frontpage

G

I built my site with Publisher 2000, currently have it in Publisher 2003, and now need to get it into Frontpage 2003. I initially bought Publisher 2003 because of the following quote from the Microsoft FAQ
Q. Should I use Publisher or FrontPage to create a Web site for my small business?
A. The tool you use depends on your Web site needs. If your goal is to give your business or organization a presence on the Web, use Publisher 2003 to create Web sites that are visually consistent with your print publications. Use Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 if you need Web site management tools and the ability to make frequent updates and interactive elements such as reply forms or search engines. If you have started to create a Web site in Publisher and find it is time to move to FrontPage, you can migrate your work easily

Now it is time for me to "migrate my work easily." Can anyone clue me in to this? Doesn't seem that easy to m
Thanks
Ric

Print | Copy

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Migration is painful

Publisher sites (especially from older versions) are best rebuilt from scratch in FP
- often best you can do is copy (content) from Publisher and paste (content) to New Pages in FP

You can also in FP open a new empty web and try File Import (files and folders) and then browse to the file/folders containing your
web pages, images, and web stuff
- but I believe you will have lots of "cleanup" and link correction to do afterwards

--

| I built my site with Publisher 2000, currently have it in Publisher 2003, and now need to get it into Frontpage 2003. I initially
bought Publisher 2003 because of the following quote from the Microsoft FAQ:
| Q. Should I use Publisher or FrontPage to create a Web site for my small business?
| A. The tool you use depends on your Web site needs. If your goal is to give your business or organization a presence on the Web,
use Publisher 2003 to create Web sites that are visually consistent with your print publications. Use Microsoft Office FrontPage
2003 if you need Web site management tools and the ability to make frequent updates and interactive elements such as reply forms or
search engines. If you have started to create a Web site in Publisher and find it is time to move to FrontPage, you can migrate your
work easily.
|
| Now it is time for me to "migrate my work easily." Can anyone clue me in to this? Doesn't seem that easy to me
| Thanks,
| Rick
|
|
| Print | Copy
|
|
|

A

Andrew Murray

import the htm files made in publisher into a web created/opened in Frontpage

as in :

File Menu > New > Web

let FP do its work - it will say 'need to create special folders....' etc.

Then import the files and graphics from wherever the publisher files are....you
have to export as html in publisher first I believe - frontpage won't import a
publisher file if that is what you're thinking - but you can import the html
files that publisher created.

Rickh said:
I built my site with Publisher 2000, currently have it in Publisher 2003, and
now need to get it into Frontpage 2003. I initially bought Publisher 2003
because of the following quote from the Microsoft FAQ:
Q. Should I use Publisher or FrontPage to create a Web site for my small business?
A. The tool you use depends on your Web site needs. If your goal is to give
your business or organization a presence on the Web, use Publisher 2003 to create
Web sites that are visually consistent with your print publications. Use
Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 if you need Web site management tools and the
ability to make frequent updates and interactive elements such as reply forms or
search engines. If you have started to create a Web site in Publisher and find it
is time to move to FrontPage, you can migrate your work easily.
Now it is time for me to "migrate my work easily." Can anyone clue me in to
this? Doesn't seem that easy to me

G

I think I did what you are saying, Andrew. I published the Publisher files to my hard drive, then tried to import them into Frontpage. Not only did I lose most of my links, but I also lost my home page -- kind of the corner stone of this whole operation. Where did the Microsoft sales people ever come up with the pitch that migration is easy? So far, from what I can see, Stefan is right. Migration is going to be very painful. And if anyone working for Microsoft lives near me, please come over for dinner so I can slap you silly for all of the wasted money and time I'm spending. Anyone else have a clue
Rick

S

Susan

You might post to Publisher newsgroup. David Bartosik MS-
MVP might be able to give some pointers. Ed is
knowledgeable too. They know Publisher but ended up doing
their websites with FP.
-----Original Message-----
Migration is painful

Publisher sites (especially from older versions) are
best rebuilt from scratch in FP
- often best you can do is copy (content) from Publisher
and paste (content) to New Pages in FP
You can also in FP open a new empty web and try File
Import (files and folders) and then browse to the
file/folders containing your
web pages, images, and web stuff
- but I believe you will have lots of "cleanup" and link correction to do afterwards

--

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

"Rickh" <[email protected]> wrote in
message (e-mail address removed)...
| I built my site with Publisher 2000, currently have it
in Publisher 2003, and now need to get it into Frontpage
2003. I initially
bought Publisher 2003 because of the following quote from the Microsoft FAQ:
| Q. Should I use Publisher or FrontPage to create a Web site for my small business?
| A. The tool you use depends on your Web site needs. If
your goal is to give your business or organization a
presence on the Web,
use Publisher 2003 to create Web sites that are visually
consistent with your print publications. Use Microsoft
Office FrontPage
2003 if you need Web site management tools and the
ability to make frequent updates and interactive elements
such as reply forms or
search engines. If you have started to create a Web site
in Publisher and find it is time to move to FrontPage,
you can migrate your