I'm so done with Microsoft

Today Windows just crashed for no apparent reason (in the middle of important
work, of course).. and so I find out that the video card is corrupted. Tried
reinstalling drivers, tried reinstalling hardware; neither did it. So then I
eventually found that SP2 needed to be reinstalled, so I looked on Microsoft
support, followed their instructions - none of the 3 ways provided worked,
because the XP disk I have had SP2 built in, so I could not uninstall it. I
was left with having to repair Windows, so I put my disk in to do that, and
selected Repair.. it doesn't really repair anything, rather it just
reinstalls the entire platform, but that wasn't the real problem. The real
problem was I have to reactivate Windows AGAIN after fixing their problem, so
I try that and guess what? "Invalid Serial Number", maximum number of
activations exceeded. This is downright rediculous, so now they want me to
buy an activation for $90? I don't think so.

I'm saying hello to APPLE and goodbye to problems. I couldn't even get tech
support without paying $35. I have backed this company through and through
and believed in their product for a decade.. no more.

hahas..poor thing.. well,anyway, apple is better..;) ..gd thing u switched to
apple.. but just think twice.. not many apps suitable for apple platform..

Kerry Brown

I'm reading between the lines so correct me if I'm wrong. Your pc has
experienced problems before or you upgraded some hardware and had to
reactivate? You have a Dell/HP/eMachines or another large OEM machine? If
either of these is the case you have to phone in the activation. It usually
takes less than five minutes. I've done this many times on many pc's and it
has never taken longer than ten minutes.

hiredgun56

Know how you feel dude...last week was an education in XP,
partitioning, and reloading a system due to XP updates....

Took me 2 days....some posting here in tech support.....and things got
back online....but I gotta tell ya: Everytime I turn the puter on, I
cringe....hoping it makes it to the startup screen.

You listening Mr Gates?

Bill

If you can't dial a phone number to activate Windows how are you going to
use a computer?

"A Very Frustrated Brian" <A Very Frustrated
news:[email protected]...

Cymbal Man Freq.

Bill said:
If you can't dial a phone number to activate Windows how are you
going to use a computer?

Yeah, all those pay phones on the street corners are disappearing or are
useless!
Just get a busride and ride your laptop to a wi-fi access point in a city 35
miles away and activate from there.

Yeah, I didn't have a phone for 6 years, and no cable TV either. Damn pioneer
outpost lifestyle in the midwest!

Some people just want to use Word and their printer, and NEVER get on the
internet. Can't do that if the OS craps out after 30 days.

Where are those new nForce 5 motherboards anyway?
The nForce 4 ones were causing data corruption.
The nVidia ATA/IDE drivers were dastardly too (across nForce 1, 2, 3, and 4
motherboards), and those who used M$ ATA/IDE/SATA/SATAII drivers were in much
less peril of data corruption.

HeyBub

A said:
I'm saying hello to APPLE and goodbye to problems. I couldn't even
get tech support without paying $35. I have backed this company
through and through and believed in their product for a decade.. no
more.

Most of the software that runs on Macs is written by Micros~1. Have you
considered Osborne? Or an IBM mainframe -- I understand they're pretty cheap
these days.

Leythos

8?B?QSBWZXJ5IEZydXN0cmF0ZWQgQnJpYW4=?= <A Very Frustrated
(e-mail address removed)> says...
I'm saying hello to APPLE and goodbye to problems. I couldn't even get tech
support without paying $35. I have backed this company through and through
and believed in their product for a decade.. no more.

You get the same level of support (actually less) and just the same
strange problems with MAC's.

R. McCarty

PCs that are properly setup & tuned should work fine with a
minimum of issues. Even things like Backups and maintenance
can be done automatically. The OP just needs to find a tech
or shop that can provide him good service. I haven't followed
the thread - did the OP ever state what the PC issue was ?

NoStop

8?B?QSBWZXJ5IEZydXN0cmF0ZWQgQnJpYW4=?= <A Very Frustrated
(e-mail address removed)> says...

You get the same level of support (actually less) and just the same
strange problems with MAC's.
Not quite the same Fanboy. You don't get the 100,000 Windoze
viruses/trojans/spyware/malware programs that you get with Windoze.

--
The ULTIMATE Windoze Fanboy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2370205018226686613

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://linclips.crocusplains.com/index.php

Frank

Leythos wrote:
|| In article <[email protected]>,
|| =?Utf- 8?B?QSBWZXJ5IEZydXN0cmF0ZWQgQnJpYW4=?= <A Very Frustrated
|| (e-mail address removed)> says...
||| I'm saying hello to APPLE and goodbye to problems. I couldn't even
||| get tech support without paying $35. I have backed this company
||| through and through and believed in their product for a decade.. no
||| more.
|| You get the same level of support (actually less) and just the same
|| strange problems with MAC's.
|| --
|| (e-mail address removed)
|| remove 999 in order to email me

Totally Untrue, fanboy troll....

Leythos

Not quite the same Fanboy. You don't get the 100,000 Windoze
viruses/trojans/spyware/malware programs that you get with Windoze.

Ah, but you do get exploits, and you also get the fact that the OS
doesn't play well with many things, in addition to being a rip-off of
BSD now.

Leythos

Leythos wrote:
|| In article <[email protected]>,
|| =?Utf- 8?B?QSBWZXJ5IEZydXN0cmF0ZWQgQnJpYW4=?= <A Very Frustrated
|| (e-mail address removed)> says...
||| I'm saying hello to APPLE and goodbye to problems. I couldn't even
||| get tech support without paying $35. I have backed this company
||| through and through and believed in their product for a decade.. no
||| more.
|| You get the same level of support (actually less) and just the same
|| strange problems with MAC's.

Totally Untrue, fanboy troll....

Wait till you own one, like a number of people I know do, and have to
try and figure out what your software doesn't work, why you need the
latest batch of patches, why you can't use the same external drive you
were using in pre OS/x, etc.....

Rhonda Lea Kirk

Not quite the same Fanboy. You don't get the 100,000 Windoze
viruses/trojans/spyware/malware programs that you get with Windoze.

I remember reading recently that Apple has more tech support personnel
per capita than Microsoft. I can't really speak to the quality of the
tech support provided by Apple, however, because in all the years I was
using a Mac, I never needed support. About the most I ever had to do is
rebuild the desktop...and yeah, upgrade the OS when a new version was
released.

In those days, a virus merely meant that someone had the flu.

rl
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Insisting on perfect safety is for people
without the balls to live in the real world.
Mary Shafer Iliff

Leythos

I remember reading recently that Apple has more tech support personnel
per capita than Microsoft. I can't really speak to the quality of the
tech support provided by Apple, however, because in all the years I was
using a Mac, I never needed support. About the most I ever had to do is
rebuild the desktop...and yeah, upgrade the OS when a new version was
released.

I've seen many MAC based businesses struggle over the years with what
were simple problems to solve for PC based solutions. Networking was
always one area where MAC's suffered problems and even today many people
still have issues with getting it to work on their system - and in
talking with people about how they resolved it, it was always NOT Apple
support that fixed their problem, it was finding someone that had
learned a workaround for it.

Shenan Stanley

A said:
I'm saying hello to APPLE and goodbye to problems. I couldn't
even get tech support without paying $35. I have backed this
company through and through and believed in their product for a
decade.. no more.
You get the same level of support (actually less) and just the
same strange problems with MAC's.
Not quite the same Fanboy. You don't get the 100,000 Windoze
viruses/trojans/spyware/malware programs that you get with Windoze.
Ah, but you do get exploits, and you also get the fact that the OS
doesn't play well with many things, in addition to being a rip-off
of BSD now.

I would not qualify it as a "rip-off".

The core of OS-X, code-named Darwin, includes a BSD license, and is at its
core, BSD.
I believe that Apple selected BSD over LINUX because of not only its BSDd
versus GPL license, but because of its stability and uniformity.

Leythos

Not quite the same Fanboy. You don't get the 100,000 Windoze
viruses/trojans/spyware/malware programs that you get with Windoze.

And since I've never been compromised by a virus/torjan/spyware/malware
on any of my own machines, it kind of makes that point meaningless to
me.

I was talking with the owner of a printing business last night that is
based on MAC's, seems they could not figure out how to get their email
client working with the local ISP - now I know it's simple, but it was
JUST as difficult for them to find the settings page as it is for
Windows users.

This is just one in a long stream of problems they've had with getting
printers to work, networking, remote connectivity, connecting
(communicating) with other computers (even other MAC's), etc....

So, in a properly configured network you don't have malware to worry
about, so that leaves the actual working of the OS and its applications,
and MAC users have just as many problems - even the lady down the street
from us has problems when it comes to anything other than her local PC
functions (meaning anything Internet, Usenet, networking, etc...)

Leythos

Leythos wrote:
|| In article <[email protected]>,
|| =?Utf- 8?B?QSBWZXJ5IEZydXN0cmF0ZWQgQnJpYW4=?= <A Very Frustrated
|| (e-mail address removed)> says...
||| I'm saying hello to APPLE and goodbye to problems. I couldn't even
||| get tech support without paying $35. I have backed this company
||| through and through and believed in their product for a decade.. no
||| more.
|| You get the same level of support (actually less) and just the same
|| strange problems with MAC's.

Totally Untrue, fanboy troll....

The you don't have experience with MAC's in a business environment.