IIS v7 Default Page not found.

Reaction score
I've searched for a fix for this for the last week or so, no joy. Here's the scenario:

I've got IIS v7 on a Windows '08 box.

I'm trying to set up a new website. I've followed all the steps, but I am unable to get my website to display index.html. DNS resolution is good, ping returns proper address, but I get the IIS default page, defined in my Default website.
Further, when I set IIS to "Content View", and attempt to "browse" the index.html file, I get the "404 - File or directory not found."... I have other sites defined in the Web Sites directory, which DO orrectly display the default page (index.html, in all cases)... I can't see what's "different" about this definition than the others (that do work)...
some items about the environment/definitions:

- physical directory name: E:\Web Sites\VWT

- the Bindings are correct, and match the rest of the sites I have defined...

- Basic Settings correctly identify the directory E:\Web Sites\VWT where "index.html" resides... the site name matches the definition...The Physical Path is correct, it points to the directory that contains my index.html file.

- I have no virtual directories set up

- I am using the DefaultAppPool, the same as all my other site defs...

- Physical Path points to the directory location E:\Web Sites\VWT where my index.html file is.

Yet, when I click the "Browse" link on the right in features view, my site displays the iisstart.htm file, which is picked up from the Default Web Site definition.

Also, when I attempt to 'browse' my index.html page, by right-clicking while in content view, IIS returns a "404 - not found" error.

If I display the Default Document list, IIS informs me that "index.html is found in the directory, but not first in the default documents list" if I move the description down to 2nd in the list. I did this to make sure IIS was "seeing" my index.html file. I've since moved it to 1st in the default documents list.

I really don't know what else to check. has anyone experienced anything like this before? IIS appears to "know" where my index.html file is, yet doesn't find it when I attempt to render it from the web or using the "browse" function in IIS...

any suggestions would be appreciated...

thank you

Mickey

Ask a Question