If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...

Lordy

I think you're right. I never noticed the voltage selector switch. It was
set to 110V and I'm in the UK so should have had it set to 230V. Doh!

Are there any regulations regardin selling stuff with the switch set
appropiately for the relevant country? I suspect (just a hunch) legally the
buyer is not completely at fault in this case. Anyone?

Tx2

Seriously trolling?
What is your opinion based on?

I'm more interested in learning on what basis your trolling theory was
created.

And why are you posting message headers?

Fred Finisterre

Are there any regulations regardin selling stuff with the switch set
appropiately for the relevant country? I suspect (just a hunch)
legally the buyer is not completely at fault in this case. Anyone?

Yeah, I was thinking that. i bought it from Ebuyer.com in the UK. Not only
was the voltage select switch set wrong, but it was suppled with a mains
cable that was wrong for the UK. I've noticed Ebuyer selling non-Brit stuff
before (I Bought a Creative MP3 player from them that had a US style mains
plug). I may try and claim from them, but they'll probably claim that there
there is a warning in the case manual (and to be fair there is). I've had
loads of PCs before, and they've either not had a voltage selector switch,
or if they have, it was set to 230V and I was lucky. I feel quite foolish
not to have spotted this.

Fred.

I.P.Freely

John Doe said:
Seriously trolling?

What is your opinion based on?

My own experience with around 400-500 PCs purchased from an insurance
clearing auction. Around 90% of the AMD systems with blown PSUs (assume from
power spikes) had dead motherboards, CPUs, Memory or combinations thereof
compared to around 10-15% of Intel based PCs with dead PSUs. Now no-one can
tell me that's a co-incidence and speaking to other dealers who also buy at
the same auction they all report the same experiences.

Why do you have this fascination with posting the headers of my messages?

John Doe

Tx2 said:
(e-mail address removed), a.k.a John Doe says...

I'm more interested in learning on what basis your trolling theory
was created.

Sounds like a troll to me.
And why are you posting message headers?

I posted the author's message header partly because I thought he was
trolling.

John Doe

I.P.Freely said:

My own experience with around 400-500 PCs purchased from an
insurance clearing auction. Around 90% of the AMD systems with
blown PSUs (assume from power spikes) had dead motherboards, CPUs,
Memory or combinations thereof compared to around 10-15% of Intel
based PCs with dead PSUs. Now no-one can tell me that's a
co-incidence and speaking to other dealers who also buy at the same
auction they all report the same experiences.

Thanks. I mainly wanted to know if you had any technical reasons,
like what is the difference between the Intel/AMD power supplies and
mainboard power circuits.

It probably is something other than coincidence, however there must
be something different in order for that to happen. There are
possibilities I can think of which would mean the difference had
little or nothing to do with whether the systems were Intel or AMD
based.

I.P.Freely

John Doe said:
Thanks. I mainly wanted to know if you had any technical reasons,
like what is the difference between the Intel/AMD power supplies and
mainboard power circuits.

It probably is something other than coincidence, however there must
be something different in order for that to happen. There are
possibilities I can think of which would mean the difference had
little or nothing to do with whether the systems were Intel or AMD
based.

Doubt it would be anything to do with power supplies as most are not
tailored to AMD or Intel but are fairly standard.

I do remember reading somewhere in a newsgroup that Intel CPUs have some
sort of inbuilt voltage protection or something which is why they are more
likely to survive a power surge. As they say you get what you pay for and
AMD being so much cheaper etc.

Actually the sub 1Ghz AMD CPUs tended to me more resiliant while the Athlon
XP series suffered a near 100% death rate, I can't remember one of those
being OK from a failed PC.

John Doe

Troll.
From: Tx2 <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: If a just built PC goes bang on power-up...
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:21:28 -0000

[...]
Sounds like a troll to me

Well, thanks for the clear and concise explanation.
I posted the author's message header partly because I thought he was
trolling.

To achieve what?

ROFLMAO ... weirdo alert!

Tx2

don't be so ridiculous

you accused someone of trolling, i asked why; you couldn't justify it,
persisted in posting unnecessary headers; then carried on in
conversation with them as if it were all perfectly normal!

Like i said, weirdo alert.

I.P.Freely

John Doe said:

Do you even know what a Troll is?

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
From: John Doe <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:53:47 GMT

John Doe

Troll.
From: Tx2 <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:21:30 -0000

I.P.Freely said:

Doubt it would be anything to do with power supplies as most are
not tailored to AMD or Intel but are fairly standard.

But that would have everything to do with what power supplies were
on the different systems.
I do remember reading somewhere in a newsgroup that Intel CPUs have
some sort of inbuilt voltage protection or something which is why
they are more likely to survive a power surge.

That would just depend on the system. As far as I know, any power
supply related thing that you can put into an Intel system you can
put into an AMD system.
As they say you get what you pay for and AMD being so much cheaper
etc.

Were they?
Actually the sub 1Ghz AMD CPUs tended to me more resiliant while
the Athlon XP series suffered a near 100% death rate, I can't
remember one of those being OK from a failed PC.

So then you would say that slower AMD CPUs can handle power surges
better? Good grief.

--

I.P.Freely

From: "I.P.Freely" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
[email protected]> <Xns95AA178424622wisdomfolly@
151.164.30.42> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <41a32260$0$10003
[email protected]> <Xns95AA4971091Awisdomfolly@
151.164.30.44>

John Doe

Do you even know what a Troll is?
Yes.

--

I.P.Freely

From: "I.P.Freely" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:34:45 -0000

John Doe

Troll.
From: Tx2 <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:58:14 -0000

Go read between the lines, arsehole.
http://cerap.univ-paris1.fr/preseau/3-fingers.jpg

*plonk*

I.P.Freely

John Doe said:
But that would have everything to do with what power supplies were
on the different systems.

That would just depend on the system. As far as I know, any power
supply related thing that you can put into an Intel system you can
put into an AMD system.

Were they?

So then you would say that slower AMD CPUs can handle power surges
better? Good grief.

I am just putting into writing my own experiences. Would you rather me lie?

Jon Danniken

BigH2K said:
Well mine doesn't have one so there :p

As for you never having seen one that doesn't have a voltage selector well
you must have a very narrow field of experience in such matters. If you
really expect me to dismantle my PC so that I can provide you with a serial
number I suggest you go to bed, late night obviously make you unreasonable
:)

Only joking with you, it's very common to have PSUs without the selector,
Antec make a UK only model of this PSU and I suppose the switch was omitted
as a cost cutting exercise. You really only need the selector if you're
using it abroad and not many people actually transport their desktop
machined around with them.

I've also seen PSUs with the selector switch, but upon inspection it is
determined that the selector switch isn't wired up to anything inside of the
unit. Probably cheaper to throw them in all units but only wire up the ones
heading to non-US areas.

Jon