IE8 and Windows Mail

L

Larry Davis

Thought I'd share my experience with IE8beta. It might help or warn others who are thinking about trying it. As soon as I had Internet Explorer 8 beta installed a few days ago I noticed that all the text size when reading email was very small. I changed the view setting to "largest" fonts but it was still a lot smaller than I was comfortable with. My eyes aren't all that great I admit since I have cataracts but my vision is corrected to 20/20 with glasses.

After a day of trying to cope with this reduced font size, I decided that the only thing that had changed on my computer was installing IE8. I had to go online to find out how to uninstall it, but after I had completed the uninstall, the font sizes in Windows Mail returned to normal. I usually only have them set to "medium" as that's plenty large enough.

It makes no sense to me why installing a new browser should affect the font sizes in the email program, but that's what happened. Perhaps when they get to the official full release of IE8 they will have fixed that problem.

I'm thinking of trying out Google's chrome now.

Larry Davis

G

Gary VanderMolen

Not only is the font size reduced, but the font stays at Times New Roman,
even when you select a different reading font. This problem also affects
Windows Live Mail and Outlook Express.
The same bug existed in IE8 beta 1. It is surprising that MS hasn't fixed it yet.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Thought I'd share my experience with IE8beta. It might help or warn others who are thinking about trying it. As soon as I had Internet Explorer 8 beta installed a few days ago I noticed that all the text size when reading email was very small. I changed the view setting to "largest" fonts but it was still a lot smaller than I was comfortable with. My eyes aren't all that great I admit since I have cataracts but my vision is corrected to 20/20 with glasses.

After a day of trying to cope with this reduced font size, I decided that the only thing that had changed on my computer was installing IE8. I had to go online to find out how to uninstall it, but after I had completed the uninstall, the font sizes in Windows Mail returned to normal. I usually only have them set to "medium" as that's plenty large enough.

It makes no sense to me why installing a new browser should affect the font sizes in the email program, but that's what happened. Perhaps when they get to the official full release of IE8 they will have fixed that problem.

I'm thinking of trying out Google's chrome now.

Larry Davis

Ask a Question