Windows XP IE7 Re-installation question

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Earlier, whilst browsing, the system completely locked-up, so as absolutely nothing else would work, I had to do a manual shut down (the off switch.) When I switched on again, there was a message telling me that the system had "just recovered from a serious error" and so I allowed it to send the error report off to Microsoft.

It sent this: Error signature
BCCode : ea BCP1 : 82486DA8 BCP2 : 82BF1788 BCP3 : 82C22530
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

And came back with this: Technical Information
Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)
with the advice that the video card needed a driver update.

When I switched browsers (from Firefox to IE7 ... which Microsoft "prefers" ) I found that it opened, but just would not load my home-page (Google) or any other. I tried opening it without any add-ons (which in my case would be the Google tool bar) but still no joy.

After much muttering (no, it didn't help) I decided to download IE7 afresh. However, now I'm not certain whether I should first uninstall the previous IE7, or will the new download just "repair" it? If one of you could put me straight on this, I would much appreciate it :D

The PC is my Rock laptop, by the way. Thank you for reading.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ouch!

I'm concerned over that error ... it points me to maybe a failing graphics card. :(

I would be keeping an eye on the temps there TC ... you may need to update the drivers, just go to Windows update site and using the "custom" button see if there is anything available.

I think we may need to "fix" IE/FF first though ... :D

Uninstall IE7 ... then see if IE6, which should be there, works. Then re-install IE7

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice Mucks, I've been a bit concerned about this PC's temp for a while now - it has always been a bit of a "toaster" and that aspect hasn't improved with age (about 4 - 4.5 years now.) I haven't previously noticed any other symptoms regarding graphics, but then, I guess they have to start somewhere :nod:

I shall go and check out Microsoft updates now, as you suggest, then will see about reinstating IE7 - will let you know what happens :thumb:

Thank you again for your help :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, laptops are like that ... you can't just take a side panel off and give it a quick vacuum.

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
A quick up-date ... I uninstalled IE7 and when IE6 returned, I used it to go over to the Microsoft site to have it scan for updates. None showed up for the graphics card though.

After that, I disconnected from the internet, closed the anti-virus and firewall programmes and installed IE7 again..... but just as before, it just will not work. It just hangs there and will not connect at all, or load the Google home page. Despite setting my home page to Google, it keeps coming up with http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74005 in both the address bar, and also along the top bar (where it says Windows Internet Explorer)

I uttered a few rude mutterings, but that still doesn't work ... it's odd, because IE7 had been working just fine until that shut-down this afternoon... it only gets occasional use, usually for the Microsoft website, or sometimes for a Yahoo card game, etc., but it's annoying.

Is there anything else you would advise me to try, or do you think I need to return to IE6..?

Thank you again:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK, this rings a bell when uninstalling most software ... some "bits" are left behind, usually in the registry.

Judging where the "link" takes you I would say you were actually logged in on the forums ... that pointer has been leftover somehow.

Not entirely sure that uninstalling & running CCleaner would help either ... might get better luck with RegSupreme, It ain't free but you can try it out, not saying you should buy it.

Not much help I'm afraid, I use Firefox on my XP box though I do have IE7 I find IE7 & XP are not quite "compatible" another MS feckup in my eyes ... but I use IE7 in Vista.

Try un-installing again, download & run RegSupreme and run it in "aggressive" mode and try IE7 again ... if that all fails, I'm lost as to what else to suggest.

:blush:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mucks:)

I much prefer FF and use it by default on both PCs (except for the aforementioned visits to Microsoft, etc.) I keep thinking that my enforced shut-down must have beggared something in the gubbins (excuse my technical jargon ;) ) because this is the first time I've experienced any problems with IE7 - although I've seen an awful lot of complaints from other folk, so I've probably just been lucky.

In your opinion, would I be taking any big security risks if I simply reverted to IE6 on that PC? Making sure that all security patches, etc., are up to date, of course. It's not the one that I use for crunching... but that probably is irrelevant, isn't it :blush:

As you suggested, I have been keeping an eye on temps - I use "Everest Home Edition" and when I checked last night the CPU was 52 deg C (126 F) the other measurement (motherboard..? It said MHT2060AT) was 55 deg C (131 F) compared to my Cruncher, which doesn't usually rise above 38 deg c (100 F) (their specs being much the same.) This is why I'm being a bit cautious about taking too many "liberties" with it, because lately the fan has begun to speed up (sounds like a 747) if I open a few tabs in FF :(

Woops, sorry this is a bit long, didn't mean to ramble :D Thanks again for your time Mucks, it is appreciated
nod.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
Your technical jargon is spot on ... :D

A little history lesson ...

MS have done this before when IE6 first appeared on the scene, most people were running Win98 or WinME and IE 6 was primarily "designed" for XP ... I then advised people to keep using IE5, if IE6 worked on their system, fine.

Now, MS have repeated that with IE7 ... originally there was going to be two versions, IE7+ & IE7, one would specifically be bundled with Vista, the other for anybody who cared. MS change their minds, to all on the outside looking in there is only IE7 ... not so, I believe there is still two versions.

I use Firefox on my XP box, I have IE7 installed but I do not like it and just use it to get Windows Updates ... I see no benefit, security wise, in which is the better of these two browsers on XP ... I rely on my "other" security programs for that issue. ;)

IE7 on Vista is a different kettle of fish, it does actually rely on Vista's new security features for some of its defense, you will be hard pressed to use IE7 to infiltrate Vista, well, that's the idea anyway, works to a point too.

Bottom line ... :D

If you are happy enough with FF & just use IE6 for Windows Update, then do it ... :thumb:

user.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
Temps on the "Tank" need to come down ... anybody you Trust to clean the "dust bunnies" out, and, check/replace that fan ??

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Gosh thank you for all the advice :)

I shall stick with the old IE6, you have explained things very clearly, and like yourself, I prefer it to IE7 anyway.

Regarding the dust-bunnies, (perhaps you should cover your eyes as you read this bit) I gave them a Dysoning first thing this morning :blush: It is something I've done previously - husband Terry holds the PC aloft, whilst I attack the bottom bit where the fan is situated (where dust usually gathers) and go around the various inlets and outlets - it's not quite so barbaric as it might sound, I'm genuinely careful - and temps have reduced a wee bit to 47 deg C and 49 deg C respectively ( 117 and 120 in old money.) Still not wonderful, I agree, but it has always been a "hand-warmer" being one of those rather robustly built machines, which you'd certainly not class as being very portable...... short of strapping it to a pit pony maybe :D

To be fair, providing I don't attempt to play 3D games, or open too many tabs, (I have six open right now and all is well) the fan ticks over at it's normal level, so I suppose that's livable-with just until we get the new jobbie. Then it can have a gently active retirement..... is it just me, or does everyone else form fond attachments to these things? :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
No, I think there are a lot of us here with sentiments to our PCs ... I'm one, won't get rid of "the Old Girl" while she continues to give good service. It too runs hot. ;)

I highly recommend the use of a vacuum cleaner to help rid one of the "dust bunnies" from within a PC ... I frown on those who "suggest" a can of compressed air ... ugh, that can cause more problems than it's worth.

For those of us that are not technically challenged and can dismantle & rebuild on a whim, dust bunnies are not that much of a problem, and, it is a damn sight easier with a desktop PC than a laptop. :D

The main point of Temp Monitors is to let you know when temps have gone a little OTT and you really need to do something about it.

Raising the base of a laptop off a hard surface will help slightly in keeping temps down, especially at the back. If you use the laptop on your lap, use a tray, or, a piece of hardboard, it will help the airflow.

Oh, and I understand the new temp of C deg on a PC better than the old money, but not the other way around for the weather forecast. :lol:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh good! :thumb: I've never bought compressed air, because I've always felt that it would be blowing gunge back into all the important little places rather than getting rid of it - hence the vacuuming:D

Regarding your suggestion of raising the laptop - I bought (and use) a metal gadget a few years ago, by "Nexus," which was supposed to aid laptop cooling. It raises the PC off the desk by about an inch, and there is a thingy which looks like an flat kettle element beneath, which is supposed to draw heat away through the perforated surface. It seemed to help a bit, as it used to remain quite cold, but now it too warms up, so perhaps it has a limited lifespan. There are also gadgets with more fans, but as the in-built fan has always been loud, having a couple more spinning would be pretty noisy I think - although probably helpful.

Much as we find the laptops handy from a space-saving point of view, the thought of being able to "maintain" a desktop a bit more efficiently (I hope) has a lot of appeal
nod.gif

:D Thank you Mucks
user.gif

Ask a Question