Windows XP IE7 Problems

Reaction score
Having a little trouble. Jumped in at the deep end. Anyway. My story is:

I would like to have my own e-commerce site to sell some of my art and various other things. My local computer chap has set up a gallery site for me which is more or less ready to go but I have to wait for him to make changes etc etc so it sits and waits. I have asked him to set up the shop site aswell which will be connected to the gallery site. I would really like to be able to set up my own e-commerce site, seems like that could be half the fun of it particularly as I am displaying images of oil and colour artwork in the gallery. This is where my problems began.

I followed links from the site my chap is using for me to os-commerce and liked it well enough. I discovered that it is designed for home users like myself (at least I think so) and went ahead and downloaded their sample. It arrived in a zip file and I seem to remember being transported to a site that I believed would open the aforementioned zip file for me. Anyway I've ended up with something called Paquet Builder, which I am sure is an excellent product in the right hands. In an effort to progress with this Os-commerce thing I persisted with downloads from microsoft including IE7. I then uninstalled them - Vision 2005, Netscape, MSDN something about SQL. Since then I have this box which appears on start up in the centre of my screen, called InstantShareDevices. For some reason which I cant remember now it seemed like a good idea to reload my xp sp2 cd and start again. Since then microsoft downloads fail because of:

The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context.

I have done a fair bit of research and it seems like it is linked to IE7. I have therefore followed links to upload mozilla firefox and thunderbird.

I know my info is probably a bit vague but has anyone got any ideas. I am interested in this stuff. But have to admit I will probably end up back in the shop.

Reaction score
I use an:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21 GHz, 960MB of RAM Physical Address Extension

In my Hardware Profiles it says:- Profile 1 (Current)

I would like to ask:-

In Device Manager why is my Processor mentioned twice?

I am going back to the beginning starting from somewhere in the middle. If anyone can suggest a good book, article or website with basic computer/internet info to be read in conjunction with this forum, I would be grateful.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Did you reinstall XP SP2 from scratch (i.e. was it a clean format or fresh install?).

It appears quite a few others are having that same problem and some people point to the following page to solve their problem:

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/bl...install-internet-explorer-version-7-method-2/

I reinstalled as an upgrade, that bit was selected for me by the disk and I saw no reason to doubt it because I was infact just loading again, the same disc as originally installed, I thought it rather canny that it knew that, and felt consoled at the notion.

I will try your link. Thank you.

Reaction score
Just checked out your link. I tried that and my computer told me not to accept it because it might be a trojan.

Been down that road before so got a bit nervous and backed out.

I supposed it could have been an oversensitive firewall but did not want to take the chance.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off starting from scratch and doing a clean installation.

After booting from the XP CD, choose to format in NTFS when prompted.

IE7 is rubbish, I'd advise against using it, I tried it and had nothing but problems with it.

Your Device Manager is showing two CPU's because you have two CPU's - it's a dual core device which is literally two processors.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Don't mean to butt in here but,

How do you get rid of IE7 and go back to IE6 ????

bowdown.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Don't mean to butt in here but,

How do you get rid of IE7 and go back to IE6 ????

bowdown.gif

Add and remove programs.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Cor blimey that sounds just too easy . Wanders of muttering , bet theres a catch in there somewhere .
laughingsmiley.gif

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Cor blimey that sounds just too easy . Wanders of muttering , bet theres a catch in there somewhere .
laughingsmiley.gif
Yep, there is ... the PC may get broken. (especially when throw out an open upstairs window, punn intended)

Karen ... do as suggested by Mr Floppybootstomp. :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yep, there is ... the PC may get broken. (especially when throw out an open upstairs window, punn intended)

Karen ... do as suggested by Mr Floppybootstomp. :thumb:

Glad I live in a one storey cabin then
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for your advice.
I have run my xp disc again and done a full install this time. Everything seems better. Did a microsoft update and I even re-downloaded IE7. Seems OK.
I have a problem with something called InstantShareDevices. I think it is something to do with my epson stylus photo rx620 and something that downloaded with it called HP Photosmart Share Setup. Everytime I start my computer I get a box trying to open itself. I have removed it from the taskbar but it still tries. If I am quick with my clicking, I can get rid of it. Perhaps I should contact Hewlett Packard, it seems to have come from them. I will do a search on the internet for any more info.
Regards
Karen

Reaction score
Worked out what the InstantShareDevices thing was.

It's the HP digi camera programme.

Once uninstalled the problem went.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. :thumb:

Amazing how much crap some devices install. ;)

Ask a Question