IE7 - How could they have gotten so much wrong?

Joseph Geretz

First of all, let me say, I LIKE the tabbed windows. It's a much more
efficient and cleaner way to manage multiple pages, then the alternative,
multiple browser Windows. That being said, there's so much that has been
engineered incorrectly, from a usability standpoint, that it leaves me
wondering 'huh'? How could the interface design professionals in Redmond
have gotten it so wrong.

1. Built in search area. I use Google toolbar. I don't need their search
area. But there's no way to remove it; you always need to keep at least one
search area defined. So it sits there wasting space.

2. Toolbar button placement. Ridiculous. The buttons I use the most Back,
Forward, Refresh and Stop are separated by the
wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide URL area. Was anyone thinking about
ergonomics when they designed this?

3. More toolbar placement issues. Menu items are top left, but other common
toolbar elements (Home for example, a very frequently accessed button) is
down and to the right of any open tabs. Who thought this was a good idea?
Has he been fired yet?

4. This one's not a biggie, but anyone thinking about the user experience
should have caught this: I frequently close the entire Browser window, when
really I only mean to close the current Tab. So the developers got it right,
but only up to a point. A dialog appears asking whether I really want to
close all Tabs. This is good. What's bad though is, the dialog box only
presents two options; Close All Tabs and Cancel. The one option which is the
likely option in many cases - Close Current Tab Only isn't presented. You
need to click Cancel and then explicitly close the Tab. Must have been
designed by the same guy who designed the toolbars.

IE7 - Good start, needs work, room for improvement. I give it a C.

5. Oh yeah, how do they release a major upgrade without providing a
Newsgroup? It's like after they won the Battle of the Browsers, they just
lost interest in the user base?

- Joe Geretz -

Trevor Appleton

I went back to IE6 after discovering FTP doesn't work with folders. It was a
revelation to discover that I didn't have to use a dedicated FTP client to
upload files to my webspace and I wasn't going to give that up.

robertharvey

Joseph said:
First of all, let me say, I LIKE the tabbed windows. It's a much more
efficient and cleaner way to manage multiple pages, then the alternative,
multiple browser Windows. That being said, there's so much that has been
engineered incorrectly, from a usability standpoint, that it leaves me
wondering 'huh'? How could the interface design professionals in Redmond
have gotten it so wrong.

I share your pain. And had trouble with the various wierd sites that
just don't work in IE7 (www.cargiant.co.uk for example). After a few
weeks I abandoned it and went back to using Firefox, which is more
easily customised and had tabbed browsing all along. IE7 is now
diskclutter

Don Varnau

I share your pain. And had trouble with the various wierd sites that
just don't work in IE7 (www.cargiant.co.uk for example). After a few
weeks I abandoned it and went back to using Firefox, which is more
easily customised and had tabbed browsing all along. IE7 is now
diskclutter

Hi,
www.cargiant.co.uk appears to be working for me. In what way was the site
not working?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

HeyBub

Trevor said:
I went back to IE6 after discovering FTP doesn't work with folders.
It was a revelation to discover that I didn't have to use a dedicated
FTP client to upload files to my webspace and I wasn't going to give
that up.

Using a web browser to upload FTP stuff (or posting to newsgroups or reading
email) is like ordering fish at a steak house or hammering a nail with a
power saw.

Trevor Appleton

HeyBub said:
Using a web browser to upload FTP stuff (or posting to newsgroups or
reading email) is like ordering fish at a steak house or hammering a nail
with a power saw.

I find it so convenient and easy to use compared with an FTP client what's
the prob?

Don Varnau

I share your pain. And had trouble with the various wierd sites that
just don't work in IE7 (www.cargiant.co.uk for example). After a few
weeks I abandoned it and went back to using Firefox, which is more
easily customised and had tabbed browsing all along. IE7 is now
diskclutter

Hi,
www.cargiant.co.uk appears to be working for me. In what way was the site
not working?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

The home page (but not subpages) caused IE7 to exit saying:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.5730.11 ModName: jscript.dll

ModVer: 5.7.0.5730 Offset: 00012f3d

Should you decide to try IE7 again, here are some possible solutions to the
jscript.dll error...
* You may have an incompatible add-on.
See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/10/24/203178.aspx
for troubleshooting information.
* Clear the Temporary Internet Files
* Try these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]
* Reinstall the scripting engine. Go to

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download of Windows Script 5.6

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Joseph Geretz

Using a web browser to upload FTP stuff (or posting to newsgroups or
reading email) is like ordering fish at a steak house or hammering a nail
with a power saw.

Huh? Why should an FTP location need a different interface than a local hard
disk location? Open window, drag and drop a file to upload or download. What
could be more convenient than that?

- Joe Geretz -