Windows XP IE7 Auto Exit Problem

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with IE7 where it just automatically exits whenever I start it up (I don't have IE8 because of some problems before. Don't know if it's been fixed yet, either.) I've looked to find out what the problem is, but can't find a solution. It started happening a few days ago where it auto-exits and I can't get on IE7 until after like 10 or 15 tries or so. The basic message I see in the Event Viewer for it is:

ID: 16, Application Name: Microsoft Office Groove, Application Version: 5.1.2600.5512, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.6425.1000. This session lasted 0 seconds with 0 seconds of active time. This session ended normally.

I don't know what other information to give out to solve this problem. It would help if you could tell me any other info I should put in to help you guys. Thank you!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums DarkWolfe1 :)

I'd recommend upgrading to IE8 to be honest, as IE7 has some unpatched problems.

The event viewer message you posted seems to relate to Microsoft Office, are there any that mention Internet Explorer? I would guess it's a plugin related problem, so loading Internet Explorer in "No Add-Ons" mode should help:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

You can then see if that solves the problem, so you can track down the rogue plugin.

Reaction score
Oh yea. It's odd. It recognizes it as a Microsoft Office program, yet for the Internet Explorer logs, I see no records of any errors, problems, or anything. I'll try out IE8 to see if that's the problem, but I don't think it might be.

Reaction score
So far, nothing's wrong with IE8, and I can see Microsoft has fixed up the bugs previously that I was aware of for IE8. Good. I'm not getting any Auto Exit problems either. That's better.

Ask a Question