IE6 wont print-to-fit, webpage right margin clipped

perfb

Anyone know how to make IE6 print-to-fit the width of a page so that
webpages are not clipped on the right margin? I've played with text
sizing etc but most ordinary webpages, eg news sites etc always get
clipped on the right margin. Even in landscape mode some webpages are
clipped. It is very annoying. I just want to shrink the page so it
fits the width of the page. How hard can that be? Why is this still a
problem 10 years after the introduction of web browsers? It is really
hard to believe.

Will Firefox or Netscape do any better than IE6 re printing?

Daniel Crichton

Anyone know how to make IE6 print-to-fit the width of a page so that
webpages are not clipped on the right margin? I've played with text
sizing etc but most ordinary webpages, eg news sites etc always get
clipped on the right margin. Even in landscape mode some webpages are
clipped. It is very annoying. I just want to shrink the page so it
fits the width of the page. How hard can that be? Why is this still a
problem 10 years after the introduction of web browsers? It is really
hard to believe.

IIRC printing to fit is one of the new features in IE7.
Will Firefox or Netscape do any better than IE6 re printing?

Depends on how you define "better". I've just tried my own site with FF, and
it squishes everything together such that some text is overlapping or
clipped away.

Many web pages are designed for screens, not printing, and no browser will
do a decent job of printing them - a shrink is probably the only way to
handle it well, but I've not seen it yet (I've not tried the IE7 beta).

Dan

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try this freeware program from
http://www.visiontech.ltd.uk/software/

Internet Explorer Fitted-Width Printing

Have you ever printed a web page only to find that the right-hand edge is
missing? This is for you. First, this download page will install the
control. After installation, close the browser window and reopen a new one.
You should have a new printer icon with a small 'W' next to it on the
toolbar. Press this to bring up a print dialog which will then print the
page fitted to the width of your paper. Alternatively, hold down the Control
key while pressing the button and you will get a print preview instead.

Note: After downloading this ActiveX Object (into Downloaded Program Files)
you may have to go to IE> View> Toolbars> Customize to find and display the
icon.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Gary Smith

There doesn't appear to be a working download link on that site.

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Worked fine for me. Go to the link http://www.visiontech.ltd.uk/software/download/IEPrint.htm
in the IEPrint section, and it shows a page saying that the weblog has been
relocated. There should be a yellow strip along the top of IE6 just under
the address bar indicating that a .cab file was not installed - click it to
install it. Then choose Run on the dialog that appears. And that's it :)
Just tried it on my company site that normally clips, and this time it
printed squished in the same way that FireFox does.

Dan

Don Varnau said:
[...]

It works a bit differently with IE6 SP1 on Win2K. If you haven't already
installed the add-in, you get the box requesting permission to install,
and if you click OK, the add-in is installed, but no notice is given and
nothing looks different. You have to go into View > Toolbars > Customize
and add the Fit-width Print button to the standard toolbar before you can
see it.

If the add-in is already installed, clicking the link just takes you back
to the home page.

Do you know of any way to capture and save the .cab file for later
reinstallation or installation on another machine?

<perfb[at]yahoo.com> wrote in message
Anyone know how to make IE6 print-to-fit the width of a page so that
webpages are not clipped on the right margin? I've played with text
sizing etc but most ordinary webpages, eg news sites etc always get
clipped on the right margin. Even in landscape mode some webpages are
clipped. It is very annoying. I just want to shrink the page so it
fits the width of the page. How hard can that be? Why is this still a
problem 10 years after the introduction of web browsers? It is really
hard to believe.

Will Firefox or Netscape do any better than IE6 re printing?

Don Varnau

Hi,
Is the ActiveX Control " PowerTeam HTML Printing Behavior" in Downloaded
Program Files?

You might try saving that object, deleting it from DPF, opening IE to verify
that it's no longer available and trying to reinstall without a new
download.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Gary Smith

There's no "PowerTeam HTML Printing Behavior" on the system. Downloaded
Program Files has an entry for IEPrint, with status of "Unknown". Its
properties show dependencies on IEPrint.dll and OSD51B.OSD, both of which
are present in that folder. I don't see anything else that might be
relevant.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Is the ActiveX Control " PowerTeam HTML Printing Behavior" in Downloaded
Program Files?
You might try saving that object, deleting it from DPF, opening IE to verify
that it's no longer available and trying to reinstall without a new
download.
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Alan Edwards

FWIW, those two files are all that is contained in the download of
IEPrint.cab
http://www.visiontech.ltd.uk/software/download/IEPrint.CAB

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Is the ActiveX Control " PowerTeam HTML Printing Behavior" in Downloaded
Program Files?
You might try saving that object, deleting it from DPF, opening IE to verify
that it's no longer available and trying to reinstall without a new
download.
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Gary Smith

Thanks. Perhaps copying those two files into Downloaded Program Files and
possibly registering the DLL is all it takes to install. I'll experiment
with that when I have some time to tinker.