IE6 wont open web pages

Mike W

a friend has xp home and uses OE6 and IE6. Suddenly, IE6 wont open any web
page. Soon as you click on IE shortcut, it opens but will not connect to
his home page. Outlook Express works fine sending and receiving emails but
absolutely nothing connects on the web.

I would be grateful for any suggestions please. We have disabled his
anti-virus, firewall and popup blocker to no avail. Tried to re-install
from an old Freeserve disc but he now has SP2 so it wouldn't install an
older version. He is not a "messer" like me so he hasn't changed anything
knowingly. One day it worked, the next day it didn't. We'v also run virus
check and AdAware.

Thanks,

Mike

Don Varnau

Hi,
If you've disabled a third-party firewall, you should definitely have the
Windows Firewall enabled (Control Panel> Windows Firewall.)

Try these two steps:
Open a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
- - -
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following, and then press [Enter.]
netsh Winsock reset
- - -

But, it's likely that there's malware on the machine (spyware, trojans,
ad-ware, etc.)
You will want to run Ad-aware, Spybot and (if running WinXP) MS Anti-Spyware
(Beta) and the Malicious Software Removal Tool- offered when you visit
Windows Update or available here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830?spid=1173&sid=global

See these sites for help:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

You may have to post a HijackThis log to one of these forums for additional
help. Look for the proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message
so that you follow proper procedure.

* HijackThis Quick Start http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/#Top
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Mike W

Thanks Don. We only disabled Windows Firewall briefly to see if that was
the problem. It wasn't and I will try your suggestions and report back.

Mike
Don Varnau said:
Hi,
If you've disabled a third-party firewall, you should definitely have the
Windows Firewall enabled (Control Panel> Windows Firewall.)

Try these two steps:
Open a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
- - -
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Mike W said:
a friend has xp home and uses OE6 and IE6. Suddenly, IE6 wont open any web
page. Soon as you click on IE shortcut, it opens but will not connect to
his home page. Outlook Express works fine sending and receiving emails but
absolutely nothing connects on the web.

I would be grateful for any suggestions please. We have disabled his
anti-virus, firewall and popup blocker to no avail. Tried to re-install
from an old Freeserve disc but he now has SP2 so it wouldn't install an
older version. He is not a "messer" like me so he hasn't changed
anything
knowingly. One day it worked, the next day it didn't. We'v also run virus
check and AdAware.

Thanks,

Mike

cpcp

Dunno if file oleaut32 has become corrupt or a recent program load may have
overwritten it?
IE6 needs oleaut32.dll version 3.50 to run, I believe ... the following may
help:-

~~~~~~~~~

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type: regsvr32 urlmon.dll

3. Click OK, and then click OK again when you receive
the following message:
DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded.

You can also try this:-

- Go to Start/run, and type "msconfig".
- Choose "Expand File" in bottom right hand corner.
- Type oleaut32.dll, not worrying about its location.

- In 'Restore From', type or browse for the file's location, which
is probably the i386 folder of your installation CD-ROM
or the Windows\i386 folder on your C: drive, as the case may be.

- In 'Save File In', type C:\Windows\System32
- Click OK ...

... msconfig looks for the file, saves it as you requested and then tells
you
that 'the file has been successfully extracted'.

You may need to reboot.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope that might help.

Paul

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
If you've disabled a third-party firewall, you should definitely have the
Windows Firewall enabled (Control Panel> Windows Firewall.)

Try these two steps:
Open a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
- - -
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Mike W said:
a friend has xp home and uses OE6 and IE6. Suddenly, IE6 wont open any web
page. Soon as you click on IE shortcut, it opens but will not connect
his home page. Outlook Express works fine sending and receiving emails but
absolutely nothing connects on the web.

I would be grateful for any suggestions please. We have disabled his
anti-virus, firewall and popup blocker to no avail. Tried to re-install
from an old Freeserve disc but he now has SP2 so it wouldn't install an
older version. He is not a "messer" like me so he hasn't changed
anything
knowingly. One day it worked, the next day it didn't. We'v also run virus
check and AdAware.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike W

thanks Don and Paul for you suggestions. Unfortunately we still have the
problem. Here is a list of actions I have taken.

Run Ad-Aware, with updated definitions - no real problems identified
Run Spybot ditto above
Downloaded, on my own pc, ie6setup.exe and copied it to my friends then went
to Run and typed: "C:\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe"
/c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E" which duly downloaded the setup files for an
install of IE6 (40 minutes on a 56k modem!). Ran it from said directory and
all appeared well, it seemed to install ok. Called for SP2 for which we had
on a disc so that went ok. Re-booted and still, when connected it wouldn't
load any web page.
Ran setup from a cmd window using the /p switch.
From a CMD or Dos window, ran ipconfig /flushdns
Have run iexplore /rereg
Have run regsvr32 urlmon.dll along with actxprxy.dll, shdocvw.dll mshtml.dll
etc., etc.,
Have run netsh Winsock reset.

I'm struggling now as to what to do next.

Your help would be appreciated.

Mike

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
If you've disabled a third-party firewall, you should definitely have
the
Windows Firewall enabled (Control Panel> Windows Firewall.)

Try these two steps:
Open a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
- - -
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

"Mike W" <odaat21[at]caravan32.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, silly little thing but /p switch should have read /q

Mike

Mike W said:
thanks Don and Paul for you suggestions. Unfortunately we still have the
problem. Here is a list of actions I have taken.

Run Ad-Aware, with updated definitions - no real problems identified
Run Spybot ditto above
Downloaded, on my own pc, ie6setup.exe and copied it to my friends then
went to Run and typed: "C:\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe"
/c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E" which duly downloaded the setup files for an
install of IE6 (40 minutes on a 56k modem!). Ran it from said directory
and all appeared well, it seemed to install ok. Called for SP2 for which
we had on a disc so that went ok. Re-booted and still, when connected it
wouldn't load any web page.
Ran setup from a cmd window using the /p switch.
From a CMD or Dos window, ran ipconfig /flushdns

Mike W said:
Thanks Don. We only disabled Windows Firewall briefly to see if that
was
the problem. It wasn't and I will try your suggestions and report back.

Mike
If you've disabled a third-party firewall, you should definitely have
the
Windows Firewall enabled (Control Panel> Windows Firewall.)

Try these two steps:
Open a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
- - -
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
[...]

Mike,
You might try WinsockXP Fix from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

But, I'd bet this is a malware problem. Download HijackThis from
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe Scan. Save the log. Read the
message at http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Register. Then post
the log (with explanation) to the forum at

Also, you don't mention other browsers. You could download Firefox (4.7 MB)
or Mozilla (11 mb) burn a CD and install them on the problem machine. It's
good to have a backup browser. http://www.mozilla.org/

Still more possibilities at:
Can't display- DNS Errors: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Mike W said:
thanks Don and Paul for you suggestions. Unfortunately we still have the
problem. Here is a list of actions I have taken.

Run Ad-Aware, with updated definitions - no real problems identified
Run Spybot ditto above
Downloaded, on my own pc, ie6setup.exe and copied it to my friends then went
to Run and typed: "C:\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe"
/c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E" which duly downloaded the setup files for an
install of IE6 (40 minutes on a 56k modem!). Ran it from said directory and
all appeared well, it seemed to install ok. Called for SP2 for which we had
on a disc so that went ok. Re-booted and still, when connected it wouldn't
load any web page.
Ran setup from a cmd window using the /p switch.
From a CMD or Dos window, ran ipconfig /flushdns

cpcp said:
[...]

back.
If you've disabled a third-party firewall, you should definitely have
the
Windows Firewall enabled (Control Panel> Windows Firewall.)

Try these two steps:
Open a Cmd window (or from Start> Run) enter
ipconfig /flushdns
- - -
Log on as an administrator.
From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
[...]

Reginald Pairaudeau

Hi Don,

well, here I am on my friends computer having just fixed Internet Explorer.
Trouble is I can't tell whether it was the Winsock Fix or simply removing
Norton Anti Virus (have installed AVG and updated it) as I have done both
tonight. Many thanks for all your help.

Best wishes,

Mike

Mike W said:
thanks Don and Paul for you suggestions. Unfortunately we still have the
problem. Here is a list of actions I have taken.

Run Ad-Aware, with updated definitions - no real problems identified
Run Spybot ditto above
Downloaded, on my own pc, ie6setup.exe and copied it to my friends then went
to Run and typed: "C:\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe"
/c:"ie6wzd.exe /d /s:""#E" which duly downloaded the setup files for an
install of IE6 (40 minutes on a 56k modem!). Ran it from said directory and
all appeared well, it seemed to install ok. Called for SP2 for which we had
on a disc so that went ok. Re-booted and still, when connected it wouldn't
load any web page.
Ran setup from a cmd window using the /p switch.
From a CMD or Dos window, ran ipconfig /flushdns

cpcp said:
[...]

From Start> Run, type cmd, and then click OK.