IE6 Encountered problem & needs to close

G

I've always had a firewall, but ever since I downloaded the SP2 I've been getting this error. I'm running Windows98 and I've looked at a lot of different postings for the same error, but none seem to apply. The error report contains the following information: AppVer 6.0.2800.1106, Modname msvcrt.dll, Modver 6.1.8293.0, and Offset 000154a7. If anyone can help I greatly appreciate it!

G

msvcrt.dll is version 6.10.8924.0 in my well-running system. Run System File Checker (sfc.exe) to see if msvcrt.dll can be restored to a better version
----- BLW wrote: ----

I've always had a firewall, but ever since I downloaded the SP2 I've been getting this error. I'm running Windows98 and I've looked at a lot of different postings for the same error, but none seem to apply. The error report contains the following information: AppVer 6.0.2800.1106, Modname msvcrt.dll, Modver 6.1.8293.0, and Offset 000154a7. If anyone can help I greatly appreciate it!

G

I ran the system checker and the setup file was corrupt, but not msvcrt.dll and I'm still getting the error.

G

MSVCRT.DLL is the Microsoft C Language run-time library. Some software replaces this file with an older version that was used to develop/test its applications. Installing newer software sometimes raises the version level back. Try reinstalling IE6 from a recent CD or search on the web for latest copy. If that don't work, try installing a recent Microsoft Product like the Picture-it programs.

----- BLW wrote: ----

I ran the system checker and the setup file was corrupt, but not msvcrt.dll and I'm still getting the error.

G

I had the same problem and after nights of research here is how I fixed the problem. I am by no means knowledgeable about computers so you can copy what I did at your own risk, but it worked for me. I am running Windows 98 and the version of the dll file msvcrt was out of date. I downloaded a new one from this site…the file called msvcrt.dll:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/index.shtml
I could not move the old msvcrt.dll file from the windows\system file while Windows was running. Therefore, I restarted my computer and held down the control key to avoid starting windows and instead got the ms-dos prompt. I moved my old msvcrt.dll file out of the C:\windows\system directory to someplace safe so I could put it back if things went wrong. I then moved the new msvcrt.dll file into the windows system file. Maybe there is an easier way to accomplish this, but it obviously eluded me. In case your ms-dos is rusty, the commands I used from the c prompt were
move c:\windows\system\msvcrt.dll c:\downloa
move c:\unzipped\msvcrt\msvcrt.dll c:\windows\syste
I can surf again
FYI: the msvcrt.dll file I had was Version 6.10.8293.0 and the Version I downloaded and installed was 6.00.8397.0.
Hope this info helps and good luck

Ask a Question