IE slow to start...

Steve Hawkins

Have searched below for threads on slow starting without finding anything
that would explain current very slow start up of IE. (XP Pro Service Pack
2, regularly updated)

Performance log shows a big spike, indicating it uses most of the pc's
resources when IE tries to start.

I use 'about blank' so it should not be looking for any web sites.

I regularly run spyware checks, and very little seems to be getting through
lately (shhh!).

There do not seem to be any Java updates on the pc, and the only folder for
java is in Windows\Java. This contains a folder called 'Packages' which
holds a number of large zipped files whose purpose I have no idea (none of
these are recent - can they be deleted?). There is one txt file in the
\Java root and it is fairly recent at 22.3.06 and says:

"com.ms.com.ComFailException: Could not complete the operation due to error
80020101.
com.ms.com.ComFailException: Could not complete the operation due to error
80020101.
at com/ms/com/Dispatch.NInvokeReal"
?

There is also one error message in the event log:

"unable to locate the symbolic link for \Device\Serial0"

Following its link to MS comes up with nothing. ?

This pc is shared with others who use Outlook, and there has often been a
problem with switching it back and forth between OE and O, which can be very
slow, but the very slow start seems to be a more recent phenomenon.

Any more ideas on slow starts?
Can anyone enlighten me on these two error messages?

Thanks to all,

Steve_H

Don Varnau

Hi,
The latest update (6) for Java Runtime Environment V.5 was causing this on
some systems. You might try uninstalling Java (Control Panel> Add or remove
programs) then reinstalling it. If the problem still occurs, try JRE 5.0
Update 5 from http://java.sun.com/products/archive/ Update 5 does have
security vulnerabilities that were closed in update 6.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Steve Hawkins

Sorry Don,

I thought I had made it clear that I had read this stuff about Java in the
older threads, and had checked to see if there was any SunJava on my pc,
which is why I said:

"There do not seem to be any Java updates on the pc, and the only folder
for java is in Windows\Java. This contains a folder called 'Packages' which
holds a number of large zipped files whose purpose I have no idea (none of
these are recent - can they be deleted?). There is one txt file in the
\Java root and it is fairly recent at 22.3.06 and says:
"com.ms.com.ComFailException: Could not complete the operation due to
error 80020101. com.ms.com.ComFailException: Could not complete the
operation due to error
80020101. at com/ms/com/Dispatch.NInvokeReal" ?"

I have since read some of the links about the legal wrangling between Sun
and MS and have run the diagnostic tool for MSVM, which does indeed say I
have a lot of files and progs dependent on this on the pc. It does not look
to me as if any 'non MS version of 'Java'' has ever been on this pc which
would have suffered from any of the problematic updates described in these
columns. I have to admit that this is all rather foggy to me as it seems
that files and folders with 'Java' in the name could pop up almost anywhere
in the ramifications of the XP folder tree, and I would not necessarily be
able to find them; And I have no idea which ones might be real and which
'virtual' - or what I should be doing about it!

From the mentions of SunJava (problems) in these columns, does it mean that
I have missed out on some fundamental procedure I should have undertaken to
purge the pc of the MSVM, and replace it with the Sun? If so, how should I
go about it (and avoid slowing down IE even more in the process!)?

All getting rather confusing, I'm afraid...

Regards,

Steve_H

Steve Hawkins said:
[...]

You're right, it sounds like you've been using MSJVM- not Sun Java. I would
leave those folders in C:\WINDOWS\JAVA alone.

IE's slow startup...
Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete files (and
delete offline content when that dialog pops up) Set the size of the
Temporary Internet Files folder to 50-60 MB.

IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable add-ons to see if one or more of them are
causing the problem.

Disable (for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers,
security, toolbars and other add-ons for IE, anti-virus, etc. Take a look at
any program that might be interfering with IE. You may have to reconfigure,
reinstall, or not reinstall, a program. Turn on the Windows Firewall (from
Control Panel or Security Center) before disabling a third-party firewall.

The best malware/spyware removal programs don't catch everything. Run
Ad-aware and Spybot and post a HijackThis log for analysis.
See these sites for help:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Malware Removal and Prevention Overview - CastleCopsWiki:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Overview
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
Removing Malware:
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

HijackThis download and instructions:
* Aumha.org- The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
* HijackThis Quick Start
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/#Top
* HijackThis Tutorial and Download
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42

Look for the proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message so
that you follow proper procedure.
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php

Outlook Express slow...
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm#auto
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/performance.htm#slow
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/sitemap.htm

Can't help with Outlook.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

which is why I said:

[...]

From the mentions of SunJava (problems) in these columns, does it mean that

"Steve Hawkins" <steve.a.hawkins[at]ntl(nospam)world.com> wrote in message
[...]

Thanks again Don,

That's a fair old list to be going on with, though I have done much of it
before and have been checking with Aumha/HijackThis without finding anything
to date.

I cleared all my temp files recently via the handy toolbar that comes with
OETool, and have been running with the TIF folder set to minimum at 40MB. I
notice there is an option to update stored pages, and that for this
'automatically' is ticked, but as another option is 'every time IE is
started', I presume that this will not be slowing the start up process.

You did not say whether I should be looking to change to the SunJava system
everyone else seems to be using. Any further advice on this?

Cheers for your help,

Steve_H

which is why I said:

[...]

From the mentions of SunJava (problems) in these columns, does it mean that