IE Shuts down attempting to play Video's

Gary

I am running IE 6 SP2. Whenever attempting to access a site with streaming
video content, I get the following error: "Internet Explorer has encountered
a problem and must close down..." The error log contains the following
reference to wininet.dll.
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: wininet.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2627 Offset: 00078f53

I have re-installed SP2, have run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the new Microsoft
malicious software removal tool, as well as the sfc /scannow utilility, all
to no avail.

Does anyone have any clue as to the cause of this issue?

-Gary

Don Varnau

Hi,
This could indicate a corrupt cache. Login as another user with admin
privileges or from the machine's default administrator account (from safe
mode) and delete the Temporary Internet Files folder for the affected user
account. You can't delete the TIF folder of the currently logged in user-
it's "in use."

It's often recommended that the TIF folder be limited to 50-60 MB and
cleared occasionally.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Gary

Don,

You Da Man! That was it. I created a new admin account on my machine and
logged in as that user. I deleted the Temporary Internet Files folder for my
main account. I logged back in under that account, launched IE, and went to
MSN Video and it worked. I was looking for a tougher fix like somehow
repairing or replacing the wininet.dll windows library file. Interestingly,
there is nothing I could find in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on this
specific issue.

Thanks to you and Frank for your input.

Regards,

Gary Combs

Gary said:
I am running IE 6 SP2. Whenever attempting to access a site with
streaming
video content, I get the following error: "Internet Explorer has encountered
a problem and must close down..." The error log contains the following
reference to wininet.dll.
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: wininet.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2627 Offset: 00078f53

I have re-installed SP2, have run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the new Microsoft
malicious software removal tool, as well as the sfc /scannow utilility, all
to no avail.

Does anyone have any clue as to the cause of this issue?

-Gary

pappy

Don said:
Hi,
This could indicate a corrupt cache. Login as another user with
admin
privileges or from the machine's default administrator account (from
safe
mode) and delete the Temporary Internet Files folder for the affected
user
account. You can't delete the TIF folder of the currently logged in
user-
it's "in use."

It's often recommended that the TIF folder be limited to 50-60 MB
and
cleared occasionally.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don,

I was having a similiar problem and tried everything I could think
of. Your solution worked!!!!

I'm glad I came across this post.

/r
Pappy

Hey there. I have got the same problem here. Ive made a new user with admin
prevliges, i dnt hav problems with the bug on it. I just need help on what u
have just said about deleting the original user temp. internet files. Could
you tell me where i can locate this folder? So far ive found a Temp folder in
windows, this is of the user name im logged in as. help wud b appreciated ty

Gary said:
I am running IE 6 SP2. Whenever attempting to access a site with streaming
video content, I get the following error: "Internet Explorer has encountered
a problem and must close down..." The error log contains the following
reference to wininet.dll.
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: wininet.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2627 Offset: 00078f53

I have re-installed SP2, have run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the new Microsoft
malicious software removal tool, as well as the sfc /scannow utilility, all
to no avail.

Does anyone have any clue as to the cause of this issue?

-Gary

I am experiencing the same problem. Where do I find the Temp Internet Folder
and files?

Thank you

Ed Kinezian

Gary said:
I am running IE 6 SP2. Whenever attempting to access a site with streaming
video content, I get the following error: "Internet Explorer has encountered
a problem and must close down..." The error log contains the following
reference to wininet.dll.
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: wininet.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2627 Offset: 00078f53

I have re-installed SP2, have run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the new Microsoft
malicious software removal tool, as well as the sfc /scannow utilility, all
to no avail.

Does anyone have any clue as to the cause of this issue?

-Gary

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Gary said:
I am running IE 6 SP2. Whenever attempting to access a site with
streaming video content, I get the following error: "Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem and must close down..." The
error log contains the following reference to wininet.dll.
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: wininet.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2627 Offset: 00078f53

I have re-installed SP2, have run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and the new
Microsoft malicious software removal tool, as well as the sfc
/scannow utilility, all to no avail.

Does anyone have any clue as to the cause of this issue?

-Gary

Windows version?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

I have windows XP sp2 and reloaded once and it worked for a day and then the
errors came back again????

Help??

Ed

:

[...]

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

But the easiest way to empty it is usually to open Internet Explorer and go
to Tools | Internet Options and click Delete Files in the Temporary Internet
files section of the General tab and on the popup window click the box to
delete all offline files.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

I keep getting a response that you replyed to my request but when I click on
the link I see no entry????? Please advise
Ed Kinezian

Ole Buzzard said:
I keep getting a response that you replyed to my request but when I
click on the link I see no entry????? Please advise
Ed Kinezian

Sorry, but that's a feature of the Web interface and I know nothing much
about that.

It's better (and faster) to use a news reader like Outlook Express.
In OE go to Tools | Accounts | Add (or New) | News.
Set up an account for this news server:

msnews.microsoft.com

The server is free and does not require you to logon. This news server
carries over 2200 newsgroups related to Microsoft products and keeps
messages at least 30 days.

For more detail see

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com