IE is ALL messes up!

I have a situation where I'm trying to support a remote user with an IE 6.0
application. Remote Scripting (MS Virtual Machine) is not running, and I
believe it is because the user has LOTS of Browser add-ons, helpers,
toolbars, ActiveX controls, etc.

The application was working, then he 'upgraded the version of Yahoo
Messenger', then it does not.

Is there an easy, supported method to 'uninstall', then re-install, IE 6.0?
Does the Microsoft IE 6 Service Pak 1 CD reinstall IE ?

I'd like to get the machine back to a 'pure' IE state without all of the
extra stuff.

Suggestions?

--Dan
(e-mail address removed)

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Dan said:
Hi,

I have a situation where I'm trying to support a remote user with an
IE 6.0 application. Remote Scripting (MS Virtual Machine) is not
running, and I believe it is because the user has LOTS of Browser
add-ons, helpers, toolbars, ActiveX controls, etc.

The application was working, then he 'upgraded the version of Yahoo
Messenger', then it does not.

Is there an easy, supported method to 'uninstall', then re-install,
IE 6.0? Does the Microsoft IE 6 Service Pak 1 CD reinstall IE ?

I'd like to get the machine back to a 'pure' IE state without all of
the extra stuff.

Suggestions?

--Dan
(e-mail address removed)

The thing to uninstall is Yahoo Messenger. Especially Yahoo Companion if
that was installed along with it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

Dan said:
Hi,

I have a situation where I'm trying to support a remote user with an
IE 6.0 application. Remote Scripting (MS Virtual Machine) is not
running, and I believe it is because the user has LOTS of Browser
add-ons, helpers, toolbars, ActiveX controls, etc.

The application was working, then he 'upgraded the version of Yahoo
Messenger', then it does not.

Is there an easy, supported method to 'uninstall', then re-install,
IE 6.0? Does the Microsoft IE 6 Service Pak 1 CD reinstall IE ?

I'd like to get the machine back to a 'pure' IE state without all of
the extra stuff.

Suggestions?

--Dan
(e-mail address removed)

BTW, reinstalling IE won't fix the problem, but:
How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
Make sure your anti-virus is turned off.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

OK, I am the 'remote user', and I have uninstalled everything yahoo ever had.
Went through the KB-318378 procedure, edited my registry after exporting it.,
reinstalled IE 6 SP1 from my original CD, vistied windows update, and still
fail PA1's browser test, all of this with antivirus turned off...

What about the scripting engines themselves?
Or is reinstalling Windows XP next?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

I have no idea what PA1's browser test is.
In IE go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced and uncheck "Enable third
party browser extensions".
If that fixes it eliminate any scumware and then check the box again.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip or
http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Clayton Remote User" <Clayton Remote (e-mail address removed)>

Before I let you know all I have tried, one thing we did not mention was that
I run Norton Internet Security 2003. Always have, but disabled it and Norton
Antivirus several times just to be sure. PA1's sites are in both IE's and
NIS's trusted sites lists.

In addition to browsing all the listed forums and then some, I:
-unchecked and checked Tools | Internet Options | Advanced and uncheck
"Enable third party browser extensions". no help...
-exported several copies of the registry, "Backup" hungs several times
trying to so a System State session.
-got a copy of LSPFIX,
-intalled, updated, read help files, ran CWShredder, CWS was not found
-intalled, updated, read help files, ran AdAware, 13 objects removed
-intalled, updated, read help files, ran SpyBot S & D, another 13 problems
fixed

What next?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

"Clayton Remote User" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
The HijackThis Log is posted at TomCoyote. Here is the URL,
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=26241&view=findpost&p=114601

As I patiently wait for someone to look at my HijackThis log, let me
ask, would installing SP2 repair any of the needed scripting items?

Type to you later.

The only thing I see in the log is FastFind. I'd get rid of that as soon as
possible, but that's probably not related to your problem.
Sorry, but I have no more advice.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Just to confirm, then I'll leave you alone.
You do not want to comment on whether or not installing SP2 might fix the
remote scripting problem.

PA Bear

I would not install SP2 until an expert gives your HijackThis log an 'all
clear', Clayton.