IE Reports '1 item remaining' in Status Bar

I am totally stumped on this one.

I have many machines that all of a sudden are reporting '(1 item remaining)
Opening page https://.....'

All machines are part of a domain, and users as well as machines have been
assigned policies. The machines that are working have less restrictive
policies - or so it seems.

I say that since the IE settings are imported from my machine to the policy
for other machines (my machine does not report anything still loading).

I have tried restoring all IE settings.

I tried moving the machine to a OU that does not get a policy (such as some
of my servers whereby this page loads completely).

My machine - working - IE 6.0 SP2 all the windows updates - Windows XP SP2
Non-Working Machines - IE 6.0 SP2 all the windows updates - Windows XP SP2

The https site I am going to is listed as a trusted site on my machine, I
have imported the trusted sites from my machine to the Policy for a
particular users on the non-working machines, when attaching to the site the
site reports as Trusted, but is not displayed in the Trusted Sites list in IE

I can't add it, since i am told that the site is already in a different
zone, yet the browser window shows that the page URL is trusted.

After logging into the initial logon page on this https site, the second
page does not continue to load, and still reports as a trusted site.

Trusted Sites are configured via the import into theis policy to allow or
prompt for all activex content - I think the only difference between the
default and what is being pushed via a policy.

The moral of the story is that I seem to have narrowed things down to a
machine level policy, by looking at what computers are affected, and those
that are not.

I just can't think of any setting that might be forcing the page to keep

Is there anything that takes place with a digital certificate for an https
site?

Thanks

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello ,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, have you tried the following steps to reset IE settings?

1. Delete the cookies
1) Click Start, click Search and click For Files or Folders
2) Type "Cookies" (without the quotation marks) and click Search Now
3) Delete files in the cookie directory

2. Delete all the temporary files
1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click Delete Files button in the
General tab

3. Delete the downloaded objects
1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Click Tools, click Internet Options and click settings button in the
General tab.
3) Press View Objects.
4) Remove all the Objects there.

4. Remove the Plug-Ins in Internet Explorer
1) Close all the Internet Explorer windows.
2) Open a Windows Explorer window by right Click My Computer and choose
Explore.
3) Locate the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS
4) Remove all the files in this folder.
Note: You may also move them to another folder.

5. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder
1) Stop Automatic Updates service.
a. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc.
b. In the right pane, stop the Automatic Updates service.
2) Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
3) Test the issue again.

6. Reset all settings of Internet Explorer
1) Under the General tab, click Clear history button.
2) Under the Security tab, click Default Level button.
3) Under the Content tab. Under Content Advisor the button default is
"Enable..."
Click on "Clear SSL" under Certificates, and click on "OK."
4) Under "Local Area Network (LAN) settings" click on the "LAN Settings..."
button - remove all checkmarks and settings unless actually required to use
a proxy and close the window
5) Under the Programs tab, click Reset Web Settings.
6) Under the Advanced tab, click Restore Defaults button.
Under Browsing put a checkmark into or remove the checkmark from "Enable
third-party browser extensions (requires restart)".
7) Click on "Apply", then "OK"
8) Close Internet Explorer and restart the computer.

7. Disable all third party Add-ons
1) Open Internet Explorer.
2) Click Tools to select Manage Add-ons.
3) Disable all third party Add-ons.

If the problem persists, please try to repair IE:
1. Insert the Windows installation CD to the CD-ROM.
2. Click Start, and click Run.
3. Copy the command prompt below in the Open box, and click OK.

Rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

4. It will display a "File Needed" screen, click "Browse.." and browse to
<CD-ROM drive>\i386, (<CD-ROOM drive> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM,
For example, D.
5. Click Open, click Ok, it should begin reinstalling Internet Explorer.

Note:
When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may
receive the following error message:
------------------------
Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed
on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
------------------------
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet
Explorer, follow these steps:
1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click
Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled
(REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP,
use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed
Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

318378: How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in
Windows XP

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support