IE has encountered a problem

G

I have read all the threads about people having this problem, as I am, but none of them seem to apply to me, so here goes
Win98SE, IE6.
I was having a problem with a baseball scoreboard page hanging, and it's Java based, and after trying a lot of things, I had the brilliant idea that maybe I had conflicting plugins or something. It was late. Anyway, using the program TweakIE, I deleted all my browser plugins(downloaded program files). Since then I get the "IE has encountered a problem and must shut down" message every time I go to a page that uses Flash and of course the only option is to let it shut down . What's more, after that, I go back into TweakIE and see that there are two program files listed : 1. swflash.inf, and 2. <unknown>. As long as these two program files are listed, my browser will crash at any site, whether it uses Flash or not. When I go back into TweakIE and delete the two files, my browser only crashes after once again attempting to install flash. I have tried to go to macromedia's site and reinstall Flash from there, but the problem still occurs. I'm thinking maybe I deleted a plugin that came with IE6.0 and was wondering if 1., that is possibly true, and 2. can I redownload IE6.0 and reinstall it? I've tried the 'repair' thing to no avail. I have MSN and the same problem occurs with that browser, and have reinstalled MSN and Messenger, but that doesn't fix it either. If anybody has any ideas I'd like to hear them. I don't believe it's a spyware problem because I regularly run the two spyware programs and because I can pinpoint the beginning of the problems right down to the minute I deleted all my downloaded program files. Thanks.

H

H Leboeuf

Can repairing IE help?

Add/Remove Programs/MS/IE repair....
--

Henri Leboeuf
Web page: http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/index.htm
===

Dave said:
I have read all the threads about people having this problem, as I am, but
none of them seem to apply to me, so here goes:
Win98SE, IE6.0
I was having a problem with a baseball scoreboard page hanging, and it's
Java based, and after trying a lot of things, I had the brilliant idea that
maybe I had conflicting plugins or something. It was late. Anyway, using
the program TweakIE, I deleted all my browser plugins(downloaded program
files). Since then I get the "IE has encountered a problem and must shut
down" message every time I go to a page that uses Flash and of course the
only option is to let it shut down . What's more, after that, I go back
into TweakIE and see that there are two program files listed : 1.
swflash.inf, and 2. <unknown>. As long as these two program files are
listed, my browser will crash at any site, whether it uses Flash or not.
When I go back into TweakIE and delete the two files, my browser only
crashes after once again attempting to install flash. I have tried to go to
macromedia's site and reinstall Flash from there, but the problem still
occurs. I'm thinking maybe I deleted a plugin that came with IE6.0 and was
wondering if 1., that is possibly true, and 2. can I redownload IE6.0 and
reinstall it? I've tried the 'repair' thing to no avail. I have MSN and
the same problem occurs with that browser, and have reinstalled MSN and
Messenger, but that doesn't fix it either. If anybody has any ideas I'd
like to hear them. I don't believe it's a spyware problem because I
regularly run the two spyware programs and because I can pinpoint the
beginning of the problems right down to the minute I deleted all my
downloaded program files. Thanks.

G

I wish. That was one of the first things I did. If I go to the download site for IE6 and just re-do the whole thing, will it simply install the new one over the old one, or will there be a problem of some kind?
Thanks for the reply.

Ask a Question