ie explorer hangs up on shut down

After I instruct my computer to shut down I get an End Program dialog box
with error msg; "Ending Program please wait. If you choose to end the program
immediately, you will lose ant saved data. To end the program now, click End
now."

I am using WinXP Prof w/SP2, and IE Explorer is version 6 SP2.

Ther error box is annoying as it keeps popping up after I try to shut down.
Please do not recommend any third party fixes, as much as you would like to
help. I'm thinking there's a registry bug or something that allows the ie
explorer not to close normally in the background.

Regards,

(e-mail address removed)

Jan Il

Hi Ed :)

You may have malware, spyware or parasites on your system causing this
problem. Thus, in addition to running your updated anti-virus program, you
should do the following to be sure none of these are present on your system.
Although you may have already run one or more of the programs, please do so
again according to the instructions below. Some variants of malware can
replicate themselves over and over if not removed properly. Please follow
all instructions carefully to be sure your system is thoroughly cleaned:

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Be sure to run CWShredder, Ad-aware and Spybot.
Also be sure to use the HijackThis. Please do not post your log to this
newsgroup, but to the SpywareInfo or the Aumha HiJackThis forums
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30, to allow the experts there to
evaluate your log and advise you of the necessary steps to clean your
system.

CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of the programs
below, download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

Also, get a copy of WINSOCKXPFIX available at:
and
WinsockXP Fix- WinXP
Also, with instructions, at
http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm
also
From LavaSoft- all versions of Windows-
http://digital-solutions.co.uk/lavasoft/whndnfix.zip
also ....
(NOTE: It is reported that in XP SP2, the command netsh winsock reset
will fix this problem without the need for these programs.)

or ........

Winsock Fix Utility
http://www.dfwonline.net/files/WinsockFix.zip

Also.........

Courtesy of Jim Byrd -

Download Sysclean.com, from Trend Micro, here:
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp along with the latest pattern
file, here:
Be sure to read the "How-to" info here:
http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/tsc/readme.txt
You might also want to get Art's updater, SYS-UP.Zip, here for future
updating of these: http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg/.
(If you download and use the updater from the beginning, it will
automatically handle downloading the other files. Place them in a dedicated
folder after appropriate unzipping, and then run. This scan may take a long
time, as Sysclean is VERY extensive and thorough

and......

NOTE: If you can not download these programs from the Internet, if your PC
has CD read capabilities, go to another computer with CD-ROM burning
capabilities. Create a folder on the hard drive of the other computer called
HOLD, download the programs to that folder, then burn that folder to a CD.
Copy the HOLD folder to your HD and then install the programs from there
and run them. After you have IE access again, update all programs where
possible to get the latest definitions and run them again in Safe Mode to be
sure there are no lingering items on the system.

also...........

Additional information on how to protect your PC:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm

So how did I get infected in the first place?
http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.ph...ghlight=&sid=53751d8ff5915261af727df08e66ce0d
or
http://snipurl.com/980t

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.
Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

You've given me tons of seemingly excellent info. I would certainly tryout
most of your suggestions. It will take me a couple of days to check out all
your info, and after I do, I will forward you the results. Thanks for now.
Kind Regards,
Ed

Ed

Thanks for your hints. However, I tried out SpyBot and AD-
Aware and even AOL'S Spyware Protection. Each found no
problems. So I suppose my little annoying problem is a
matter of closing sequences. Problem seems to be ie
explorer screen closes when you exit it, but it seems to
lurk open in the background somewhere.Because at Shut
Down that darn End ie explorer pop up dialog box tells
you it has to end its task shut down. Any way thanks for
your suggestions. I just have to live with another
annoying Windows problem.

Jan Il

Hi Ed :)

Try the following and see if it helps:

Not sure that it will solve your problem, but, it may be worth a try.

FIRST! Back up your Registry:

Close IE
Go to Start>Run and type in regedit, hit enter
Find and delete
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browse
r Helper Objects

also........

Download, install and run HiJackThis in "Safe Mode:"

HiJackThis:

Unzip the Download file in a NEW FOLDER that you can create before you start
the download.
DO NOT install in your Desktop folder.
DO NOT use any of the TEMP folders that are presently in your computer.
Double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

Go to:
and download HiJackThis to the new folder. Unzip to a folder other than your
Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick HiJackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button. Press that, save the log some place you remember where it is.
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so DO NOT fix
anything yet.

Open the copy of your log in NotePad and make a copy. Then you can go to one
of the following to post your log so that the experts there can fully
analyze your log and make corrective recommendations,if necessary :

<<PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR LOG FILE TO THIS NEWSGROUP>>

Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support, here:
http://216.180.233.162/~swicom/forums/

or Net-Integration here:
http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-...86d536d57b5f65b6e40c55365e;act=ST;f=27;t=6949

or Tom Coyote here:
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?act=idx

You will need to register to open a new thread to post you log. It is free,
and no one will Spam you, it is one of many that provides this service. Once
registered, go to the HiJackThis section on the forum list and click to
open. Then start a new post and post your log. The experts there will
analyze the log and report back the results. Please allow at least a few
hours or a days time for a response, depending on when you post the log

Remember, you must return to the HJT site to get your answer. It is a good
idea to click the "Notify" box so that you will get an electronic
notification by e-mail to let you know when a response has been posted.
But, you must still return to the site of your answer

HJT Tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42

Also....download and install these 2 little utility programs;

Belarc: Free
(tells you about your system, what updates are acutally in effect, what you
still need, etc.)

Process Explorer: Free
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/processexplorer.html
(tells you all that is running on your system at any time)

With the Process Explorer, you can see if there are any rogue programs
running in the background that you are not aware of. Something of this sort
may be what is causing the task manger to keep hanging open at the end. If
you see any strange there you can find it and delete/uninstall/disable it.

In the latest version of SpyBot there is a section clled Tools>System
Startup. Here you will see all the various programs that are running when
you start up your machine. See if there are any that you don't need, or
want running when you first start up.

You may want to check out the following information as well:

You cannot log off, restart, or shut down your Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;831431

WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

also........

If you want to shut down Windows with one click, create a shortcut to the
Shut Down command by following these simple steps. First, click on an empty
area of your Desktop and choose "New," then "Shortcut." In the Command Line,
enter the following exactly: C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE USER.EXE,EXITWINDOWS and
click the Next button. Give the shortcut a name (mine is ShutDownWin) and
click Finish. After a moment, a new icon will appear on the Desktop sporting
the Windows logo. Click it to shut down Windows whenever you like.

Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307274

If these steps do not resolve your problem, please post back to this thread
with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Please reply to the newsgroup so others may benefit.

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Hi Guys,

I have a very similar problem, except that it occurs on startup:

The boot-up sequence works fine, but after everything has loaded, I get an
hourglass when moving the mouse anywhere over the taskbar, ie. cannot use
"start". Also, nothing happens when trying to click on the desktop (left or
right) and cannot click any icons.

I'd love to try some of the advice/programs Jan mentioned in this post, but
I can't because my desktop is frozen on startup!

What's strange is that the PC was working fine the one moment - did a normal
shutdown - and on the next startup, this started to happen.

Any ideas, because I do not relish the thought of having to re-install
windows...

Thanks,
Stephan

Jon Kennedy

This sounds like an OS issue, not an IE issue as this board is for. Post
this problem to the general newsgroup for your version of Windows.

However, assuming XP, you could try starting Windows in Safe Mode:

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

Then use System Restore:

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/en-us

More troubleshooting:

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041/