IE 6 won't open

I can't get IE 6 to open. I've had it on my daughter's pc for a year and all
of a sudden, it won't open. She uses Netzero dialup. I've uninstalled and
reinstalled NZ, IE 5.5, IE 6, ran spy bot, regseeker and others but it still
won't open, whether or not she's online. When I hit ctrl/alt/delete, it
shows iexplore but it doesn't show up. Can anyone give me any advice?

thx

Don Varnau

Hi,
Which version of Windows? Windows ME?

Meanwhile...
Download and run CWShredder, Ad-aware and Spybot.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"reduno" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Thanks Don. She's still running Windows 98. I've already tried spybot
(before I posted here) but all it found was 12 files and when I deleted them,
still no IE. I'll give the others a try. IN the meantime, I'm pretty sure
it's not NZ since she can still get online. Everything else (all other
software) works fine. It's got to be an IE thing, ie corrupted files etc.

Thanks for your help.
reduno

"reduno" wrote in message
I can't get IE 6 to open. I've had it on my daughter's pc for a year and all
of a sudden, it won't open. She uses Netzero dialup. I've uninstalled and
reinstalled NZ, IE 5.5, IE 6, ran spy bot, regseeker and others but it still
won't open, whether or not she's online. When I hit ctrl/alt/delete, it
shows iexplore but it doesn't show up. Can anyone give me any advice?

thx

Robert Aldwinckle

reduno said:
I can't get IE 6 to open. I've had it on my daughter's pc for a year and all
of a sudden, it won't open. She uses Netzero dialup. I've uninstalled and
reinstalled NZ, IE 5.5, IE 6, ran spy bot, regseeker and others but it still
won't open, whether or not she's online. When I hit ctrl/alt/delete, it
shows iexplore but it doesn't show up.

Doesn't show up how? No window? or no taskbar icon too?

If there is a taskbar icon it's possible that the window is positioned
off the screen or too small to notice. Right-click the taskbar icon
and use its Move or Size menu items to make the window visible
on your screen. Hint: once you activate a window's menu item
you can use either your mouse or the cursor keys to move or resize
that window even if it isn't immediately viewable.

If there is no taskbar icon too it is even more likely that you are dealing
with malware. Use Task Manager to kill the current instance.
Then Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)

iexplore.exe -nohome

The idea there is that this should see if the IE window
is normally visible. This would be before any toolbar
customization and without your Home Page. You could
then press Esc (or click Stop) to see your toolbar
preferences but without going to your Home Page.
I'm not certain what else pressing Stop at that point
implies. Hopefully it might avoid invoking whatever
it is that takes over your window to make it hidden.

Can anyone give me any advice?

thx

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle