IE 6 won't download executable files

IE Version: 6.0.2900.2180 running on XP SP will not download .exe files from
any site. At the stage where it gathers file information, (prior to
Open/Save), it hangs and then returns the following error text:

"Internet Explorer cannot download [file] from
Internet Explorer was not able to open the Internet site. The requested sit
is either unavailable or cannot be found."

It works with fine with other file types, and used to work for .exe files
too. I have reset all security settings to "Medium" (lowest possible),
disabled the antivirus, and uninstalled the anti-spyware.

I have cleared all cached info and deleted the index.dat files. I tried to
reinstall IE after resetting the Is Installed flag, but couldn't get IEsetup
to run over top of it. The IE repair tool is no longer.

Antivirus finds no problems as does antispyware (MS and Spybot), the LSP
entries look fine. No DNS hardcoded on the IP stack. DNS cache is flushed.

FTP works fine as do embedded download managers like windows update,
Symantec antivirus. Firefox can download .exe files no problem.

I have been trying to fix this for hours, and would really appreciate some
fresh insights or angles of attack.

Thanks

Look a little further down "Cannot download from IE" 30.6. answer from John
Kennedy. I went into Tools/Internet Options/General/Deleted Filles (Delete
all offline contents) plus deleted cookies. Then everything was fine.
Orna

Have already done all that. Deleting all cached files does not affect the
problem.

One other thing I failed to mention is that is it profile-specific. Other
user profiles do not have the behavior. Are there any files beyond index.dat
that are profile specific and might impact this behavior?

kholden23 said:
[...]

http:// Internet Explorer was not a... or angles of attack. Thanks[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
http:// Internet Explorer was not a... or angles of attack. Thanks[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Additionally, I recreated the entire profile directory structure and it did
not resolve the problem.

GRRRR

kholden23 said:
[...]

http:// Internet Explorer was not a...es of attack. Thanks[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
http:// Internet Explorer was not a...es of attack. Thanks[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
http:// Internet Explorer was not a...es of attack. Thanks[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try this from Alan Edwards:

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3034­01

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.ex­e

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"kholden23" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

The laptop just left town for a couple of weeks with my client, but I can't
wait for the chance to look and see if your solution applies. This is the
first new line of inquiry I have found.

Thanks!