IE 6 suddenly won't launch

Gerry

In the middle of a session today, IE stopped launching - I
click the icon, see an hourglass for a moment, then back to
a regular cursor and the browser won't launch. This
happens whether or not I click on a shortcut icon.

I have: rebooted; run AdAware & SpyBot & scanned IE for
viruses; rebooted; reinstalled IE & rebooted; checked the
FAQ's; rebooted again; torn out some hair.

I'm running 2000 Pro, and had been running without
problems, with no active applications other than Yahoo!
Messenger & IE. I did try launcing with the Task Manager
window open & noticed that although CPU Usage spiked
momentarily while the hourglass cursor shows, IEXPLORE.EXE
doesn't appear on the process list.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you can give me. Thanks a
lot - Gerry

Don Varnau

Hi,
Try CWShredder http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
(Alternate site for CWShredder
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip)

Then run Ad-aware using these settings:
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877

The next step would be to go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through steps 1-3, then post a
HijackThis log for analysis (step 4.)

Or, if not caused by malware, consider disabling (for diagnostic purposes)
legitimate programs running in the background which might be interacting
with IE- security, antivirus, ad-blockers, toolbars & other add-ons, etc.
You may have to uninstall then reinstall, or not reinstall, a program.

Hope this helps,
Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Gerry" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

RayO

Could be a problem with the shortcut itself.
Have you tried a different IE shortcut? What
if you go to Start then Run and run IEXPLORE.EXE ?
Does that work? If so, the problem is the shortcut.
Try the IE shortcut from the Start button, All Programs,
and if it works, make a copy of it on your desktop.