IE 6 Hangs

I hope someone can help... Everytime I open IE 6 it hangs, and I have to do
the famous Ctrl-Alt-Del to shut it down. I have run my virus program, adware
program, spyware program, deleted my history, cookies, re-installed, you name
it I did it and nothing helps.

I'm running Windows 98SE, this has been happening for the past few months
and it's getting worse. When it first happened, I would shut IE down
manually and then open it again it was fine. But now when I shut it down and
try to open IE it hangs and then I get the completely locked up and have to
power down.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Don Varnau

Hi,
Some steps to try:
1. From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third
party browser extensions." If that helps, another program (possibly malware)
is interfering with IE. You should re-enable browser extensions after the
cleanup.
2. Delete the History folder and Temporary Internet Files folder. One or the
other may be corrupted. See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm
3. Disable, as a test, third party programs which interact with IE. Look at
privacy/security programs, ad-blockers, antivirus, etc.
4. Try a repair of IE. 194177 - Description of the Internet Explorer Repair
Tool:
5. Much of the malware circulating on the Web has to be removed manually. Go
to http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 Please read the message at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 before posting a HijackThis log.

Be patient. It's a busy forum at times.

More on malware at:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]