Icons missing :Windows Administration Tools installed on a Worksta

I have had the Windows Administrative Tools installed on my workstation and
all was fine, but now the icons in the control panel do not display for these
tools (such as dsa.msc) under administrative tools. The applictions work
fine, but the icons are blank (default program icon window on a white
background). It's purely cosmetic, but a little annoying.

I have refreshed my icon cache but this does not seem to effect the control
panel icons.
(the non windows admin tools like "computer management" appear fine).

Any assistance with this niggly problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Ian,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I suggest you remove and reinstall Windows Administrative
Tools to test the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Icons missing :Windows Administration Tools installed on a
Worksta
| Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:10:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hi,
|
| I have had the Windows Administrative Tools installed on my workstation
and
| all was fine, but now the icons in the control panel do not display for
these
| tools (such as dsa.msc) under administrative tools. The applictions work
| fine, but the icons are blank (default program icon window on a white
| background). It's purely cosmetic, but a little annoying.
|
| I have refreshed my icon cache but this does not seem to effect the
control
| panel icons.
| (the non windows admin tools like "computer management" appear fine).
|
| Any assistance with this niggly problem would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks

Hi Ken,

I had already tried this before I made the post, sorry that I didn't mention
it earlier.

Ian

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I have another machine which is fine and it doesn't
have this registry key. Windows 98 has never been near the affected
machine...

So I am not sure I see the relevance of your post.

Thanks anyway.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Ian,

Can you try to create a new user account to see if the issue still occurs
on this new user account?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Icons missing :Windows Administration Tools installed on a
Wor
| Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 03:18:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hi Ken,
|
| I had already tried this before I made the post, sorry that I didn't
mention
| it earlier.
|
| Ian
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello Ian,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, I suggest you remove and reinstall Windows
Administrative
| > Tools to test the issue.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Icons missing :Windows Administration Tools installed on a
| > Worksta
| > | Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:10:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I have had the Windows Administrative Tools installed on my
workstation
| > and
| > | all was fine, but now the icons in the control panel do not display
for
| > these
| > | tools (such as dsa.msc) under administrative tools. The applictions
work
| > | fine, but the icons are blank (default program icon window on a white
| > | background). It's purely cosmetic, but a little annoying.
| > |
| > | I have refreshed my icon cache but this does not seem to effect the
| > control
| > | panel icons.
| > | (the non windows admin tools like "computer management" appear fine).
| > |
| > | Any assistance with this niggly problem would be appreciated.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > |

Hi Zen,

I have created a new fresh user called "icontest" and the same behaviour
still occurs for this user. If I log in as administrator, the same occurs
again, it affects all users of the machine irrespective of their creation
date.

Thanks for your ongoing assistance in this matter.

Ian

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Ian,

Can you try to create a new user account to see if the issue still occurs
on this new user account?

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Icons missing :Windows Administration Tools installed on a
Wor
| Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 03:18:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hi Ken,
|
| I had already tried this before I made the post, sorry that I didn't
mention
| it earlier.
|
| Ian
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello Ian,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, I suggest you remove and reinstall Windows
Administrative
| > Tools to test the issue.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Icons missing :Windows Administration Tools installed on a
| > Worksta
| > | Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:10:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | I have had the Windows Administrative Tools installed on my
workstation
| > and
| > | all was fine, but now the icons in the control panel do not display
for
| > these
| > | tools (such as dsa.msc) under administrative tools. The applictions
work
| > | fine, but the icons are blank (default program icon window on a white
| > | background). It's purely cosmetic, but a little annoying.
| > |
| > | I have refreshed my icon cache but this does not seem to effect the
| > control
| > | panel icons.
| > | (the non windows admin tools like "computer management" appear fine).
| > |
| > | Any assistance with this niggly problem would be appreciated.
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your response.

If the issue is occurring on all user accounts, I am not sure if this issue
is related to the system files corrupt. I will suggest you try the
following steps:

Step1
I suggest we first restart the computer in Safe Mode to see if the problem
also occurs in this mode. Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode
configuration, disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA
display adapter.

1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose the Safe Mode, and press Enter.

Note: Some third party applications and hardware devices cannot be used
during Safe Mode.

Step2
Use Windows Installer Cleanup utility to uninstall Administration Tools.
290301: Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

Step3
If the issue occurs in the Safe Mode, please perform the following steps to
run System File Checker. To verify if some system files are corrupted, also
please run System File Checker (SFC).
1. Click on Start, click on Run and type "CMD" (without the quotation
marks). Press Enter. This opens the Command Prompt window.
2. Type "SFC" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter. It lists the
option you can choose. You can then choose an option, such as "SFC
/scannow" (without the quotation marks). Press Enter.
Note: You will be prompted to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD, do so.

Step4
Please try to reinstall it to test the issue again.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Icons missing :Windows Administration Tools installed on a
Wor
| Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 03:14:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
|
| Hi Zen,
|
| I have created a new fresh user called "icontest" and the same behaviour
| still occurs for this user. If I log in as administrator, the same
occurs
| again, it affects all users of the machine irrespective of their creation
| date.
|
| Thanks for your ongoing assistance in this matter.
|
| Ian
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Ian,
| >
| > Can you try to create a new user account to see if the issue still
occurs
| > on this new user account?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?SWFuIFJvYmVydA==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Icons missing :Windows Administration Tools installed on
| > Wor
| > | Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 03:18:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
| > |
| > | Hi Ken,
| > |
| > | I had already tried this before I made the post, sorry that I didn't
| > mention
| > | it earlier.
| > |
| > | Ian
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > Administrative

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > workstation
| > for
| > work
| > | > |
fine).
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Hi Ken,

I performed all the actions you listed because the icons were missing in
safe mode too.

The sfc took ages to complete but reported in the event log that it
completed successfully.

After removing the admin tools, running sfc, rebooting, reinstalling the
tools, they still appear without icons.

I decided to use SP2 version of the tools, but this has the same result.

Regards

Ian

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| still occurs for this user. If I log in as administrator, the same
occurs
| again, it affects all users of the machine irrespective of their creation
| date.
|
| Thanks for your ongoing assistance in this matter.
|
| Ian
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Ian,
| >
| > Can you try to create a new user account to see if the issue still
occurs
| > on this new user account?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | I had already tried this before I made the post, sorry that I didn't
| > mention
| > | it earlier.
| > |
| > | Ian
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > Administrative

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > workstation
| > for
| > work
| > | > |
fine).
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Hi Ken,

I have solved the problem.
I looked at the shortcuts and found they referred to this directory
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{27B3563C-561C-4924-8C0E-EA102264873F}
Which contained the Icon files. But I couldn't see the icon files.
So I checked the associations with

cmd c:> assoc .ico

and found there was no associatation for .ico files. so I did
assoc .ico=Icofile

And then all the icons appeared.

This must have been screwed up by some other software in the history of ths
machine???

But now all the icons appear ok.

Thanks for your help.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| still occurs for this user. If I log in as administrator, the same
occurs
| again, it affects all users of the machine irrespective of their creation
| date.
|
| Thanks for your ongoing assistance in this matter.
|
| Ian
|

| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Ian,
| >
| > Can you try to create a new user account to see if the issue still
occurs
| > on this new user account?
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader

| > |
| > | I had already tried this before I made the post, sorry that I didn't
| > mention
| > | it earlier.
| > |
| > | Ian
| > |
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

| > Administrative

| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > so
| > rights.

| > | > |
| > workstation
| > for
| > work
| > | > |
fine).
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply and let us know you have resolved the issue. Also
thanks for your experience sharing and I believe this will benefit other
customers.

> [...]

the
| > > option you can choose. You can then choose an option, such as "SFC
| > > /scannow" (without the quotation marks). Press Enter.
| > > Note: You will be prompted to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD, do so.
| > >
| > > Step4
| > > Please try to reinstall it to test the issue again.
| > >
| > > Thanks & Regards,
| > >
| > > Ken Zhao
| > >
| > > Microsoft Online Support
| > > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| > >
| > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > > ====================================================
| > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| > > ====================================================
| > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| > > |
| > > occurs
| > > |
| > > |