icon problem

Reaction score
Please help me. I was dowmloading a winzip program and it gave me google chrome at the same time. I uninstalled google chrome and now none of the shortcut icons on my desktop work. It opens a box that says application not found. It is only the icons that dont work. I still can go online obviously since I am writing this now. I do not know computers that well so if you can help me it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Harry

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Harry :)

You could go to the main start menu, right click on one of the programs you want a shortcut to, click 'create shortcut' then drag and drop the newly created shortcut onto the desktop.

If the shortcut works you can delete the current useless icons and create shortcuts for them as I've just described. You can also right click and rename each shortcut to delete the 'Copy' part of the text.

That's one solution, there may be a quicker one but not that I'm aware of.

When you download stuff always look very carefully at each stage of the installation as lots of programs try and get you to install stuff you don't want, and always choose Custom Install if given a choice.

Just what was the application that installed a full version of Google's Chrome, by the way, I'm curious.

Reaction score
It was called WinZip. It is not program icons that were effected. It was the desktop icons for web page shortcuts like say my Chase bank site, facebook, netflix,etc... Those others (IE, games, pictures, AIM) were not. Only website shortcuts were effected by this

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It sounds like your saying that you have some shortcuts on your desktop to various websites. and since installing Chrome they dont work?

Is that right?

Reaction score
Yes, that is the problem. when I click on the icon it sends a box that says application not found. It started when I uninstalled Googl Chrome which got installed by mistake with another program called WinZip

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That caught me out the other day too - (not Winzip, it was something else, but cannot remember what. :blush:) I ALWAYS watch like a hawk for any unwanted toolbars/apps etc., which might be "included" in a download, but this one ducked under the radar for me too.

Anyway, I suddenly found that all my icons (shortcuts to websites) had changed to Chrome icons (instead of FireFox) because Chrome had been made my default browser. Wasn't happy about that, bloomin' cheek, :mad: so first thing I did was to change my default settings back to FF. My icons then automatically changed back to FF, of course.

I'm just wondering, if Henry were to download Chrome again, and set it as his default browser, perhaps that would re-enable the icons. If so, he could then change his default browser back to his normal preferred browser... and then finally, uninstall Chrome.

Do you reckon that might work guys...? :confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
To be honest, your best and quickest fix would be to just delete them and start again rather than messing about fixing it. :)

It wont take long, less time that us explaining how to and then you doing it.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm just wondering, if Henry were to download Chrome again, and set it as his default browser, perhaps that would re-enable the icons. If so, he could then change his default browser back to his normal preferred browser... and then finally, uninstall Chrome.

Do you reckon that might work guys...? :confused:
We posted at the same time. :)

Like i said, i'm guessing tis quicker just to re create them rather than mess with it (providing his screen isn't full of IE shortcuts!)

You could try looking in the CP at the default programs settings.

Harry what OS and Browser do you use?

Reaction score
I have always used Google as my default browser and I have Windows Vista. I tried recreating the shortcuts but they still come up as application not found. Should I try reinstalling Chrome and seeing what happens?

Reaction score
I tried looking in the CP at the default programs settings as you said and I set it to IE and now everything is working correctly. I thank you guys soooo much for your input and help. I am a very happy camper now. :bow: I bow down to you all.

Thanks,
Harry

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah nice one, i wasn't expecting it to be that easy for some reason. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I downloaded and installed Speccy (a fine computer spec analysis free software program) on one of my machines today and it tried to force me to install Chrome as a browser. It hasn't been the first software app to do that.

Which is why I won't entertain Chrome at all.

Any browser that has to force itself upon you I instantly dislike, no matter how good or bad.

Why, even IE /MS gives you a choice now, albeit reluctantly because of some Euro legal ruling.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Piriform (Ccleaner, Speccy and Defraggler) do a 'slim' version, that one is without any toolbars and such, always go for that one. :)

Ask a Question