Windows 7 Icon Problem

Reaction score
Hi guys i have just got a new laptop with Windows 7 64 Home Premium on, it's my first time using windows 7 and my first time with a 64 bit OS also.

I have an issue where some of the icon pictures have reverted to the generic one that is used when no icon is selected, im not 100% but i think this hapened when i installed some windows updates, i have searched for the problem but can't find the issue in any forums.

Ill post a pic so you can see what i mean, affected icons are - AI Recovery Burner, Control Deck, Skype, Smart Logon and Cyberlink PowerDVD 9, i have tried everything i can think of to get them back with no luck, the change icon option under properties is greyed out too.

I know it's not an issue that affects me using my lappy it just bugs me lol.

Any ideas would be much appreciated Cheers Lee.

Screen.jpg

Reaction score
Oh i forgot to mention, if i right click the icon then properties, the box that appears has the correct icon for that program in the top left corner so it does know the correct icon and where it is, it just chooses not to show it on the desktop, could this be a Windows 7 bug or i am missing something here?

Cheers Lee.

Reaction score
Hey Guys i managed to fix the problem, ill post here how just in case anybody else gets the problem, it's also the same in Vista. I found this on another website.

Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.

2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.

3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.

4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.

5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)

6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK

7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)

9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back with the solution FSman :D. I'm glad you got it sorted :thumb:

Ask a Question