I Sold!!!!!!!!!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Some good stuff there Ciri - 'Fight in a Storm' is excellent :thumb: (But I can't afford the $2200 :( )

I see he spent some time on the Norfolk Broads - spent many happy summers there myself :)

PS. The link you gave to his site is slightly out - should be http://kendrickart.co.nz/

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Absolutely smashing girl, you go for it and well deserved, help yourself to a glass of wine....i am...;) :thumb:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Some good stuff there Ciri - 'Fight in a Storm' is excellent :thumb: (But I can't afford the $2200 :( )

I see he spent some time on the Norfolk Broads - spent many happy summers there myself :)

PS. The link you gave to his site is slightly out - should be http://kendrickart.co.nz/

:blush: Whoops, thanks Ady, fixed it. Yes, he loved it there, I think that time might've been one of the happiest in his life. Just going where he wanted when he wanted. He says bits of otago remind him of there.

I love snakes mucks & they are beautiful to paint, would've loved to have some as pets actually (when i was a kid I used to envy Brittish kids who could have grass snakes as pets) but because there are no snakes in NZ bringing them in or keeping them as pets is illegal. I tend to paint scale by scale though, a bit too detailed for most people. I once did a piccy years ago that was a curled rope that gradually turned into a snake raised to strike. Probably a bit cliche now I suppose, but I loved doing it, shifting from the rough 'hairyness' of the rope into the smooth, supple strength of the snake. I love the piccy you've put up, is that from the band?

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Well done Girl !!!

Love the site Ciri, and John's site has got some fantastic stuff on it too!

*Now if only I can get the proportions right on my matchstick men ...*

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Thanks CIT & crazylegs :D I'm still feeling like a kid on xmas morning:)

& CI, thanks for putting the comment on the gallery earlier too :) Was very nervous then so was much appreciated :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Really pleased for you, brilliant news :)

And I like that painting as well. No, really, I honestly do, me not just saying it ;)

There is SO much detail in there, you either have a lot of patience or it must be therapeutic or something.

Congrats on the sale and well done :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
There is SO much detail in there, you either have a lot of patience or it must be therapeutic or something.

Or perhaps just obsessive :rolleyes:

Thanks flops, appreciated :) Now if I could Just get this beach one to go right... *rips hair out by handfuls*

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
Where can i see your recently sold artwork?
The link is on post #3, or you can go to Features>Gallery.....:thumb:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Thanks :) I've just finished the beach one today too. It's been driving me crazy for about 2 months now. I don't think I ever want to paint sand again:p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I hate sand too ... Southport has loads of sand

cirianz said:
Thanks :) I've just finished the beach one today too. It's been driving me crazy for about 2 months now. I don't think I ever want to paint sand again:p
Well ... I'll head the cast of millions and say ... we gonna get to see the pic in the Gallery?

:D

Reaction score
keep painting

Keep it going:thumb: , you know deep down you love to paint and thats the important thing:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
cirianz said:
:blush: I love snakes mucks & they are beautiful to paint, would've loved to have some as pets actually (when i was a kid I used to envy Brittish kids who could have grass snakes as pets) but because there are no snakes in NZ bringing them in or keeping them as pets is illegal. I tend to paint scale by scale though, a bit too detailed for most people. I once did a piccy years ago that was a curled rope that gradually turned into a snake raised to strike. Probably a bit cliche now I suppose, but I loved doing it, shifting from the rough 'hairyness' of the rope into the smooth, supple strength of the snake. I love the piccy you've put up, is that from the band?
Yes it is ... I'm err, quite a fan of Whitesnake ... have all the albums.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Well ... I'll head the cast of millions and say ... we gonna get to see the pic in the Gallery?

mucks you're a nutter & a sweetie (don't worry, i won't tell anyone;) )

Ok, I'll put it up in the gallery, although I'm not sure of it yet. I'm not fishing, just that it always takes me about 3-4 months before I can stand back from my paintings enough to find out if they really are as awful as I think they are or if I was just too close to them. At this stage all I can see is what's wrong with it, it's only later that I will be able to tell if these things glare out at everyone as much as they do to me. Yeah I know I'm nuts, but I've noticed John is similar so maybe it's just one of those things.

I got a vague suspicion :rolleyes: that you might enjoy whitesnake when you were telling us about that music site. I'm afraid that I know nothing about them & don't know if I've ever heard any of their music. Sounds like I ought to find out :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Artist are their own worst critics ... us mere mortals know what we like ... I, for one, like "real" paintings, but I do like Lowry types too ...

Who is that Window Cleaner guy who paints and old friend mainly in black on a white painted canvas ... I love his work ... name escapes me ... but it looks stunning.

Me, I dabbled a bit, only with pencil ... are there any 'pencil only' artists. :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Yes definitely mucks :). Artists work in all diferent sorts of mediums & tend to develop their own speciality. I worked only in pencil for years before reading, in one of Raymond Chings' books, a line about using the paintbrush like a pencil. I didn't know any specific watercolour 'techniques' but I knew how to draw, so I gave it a go. over the years I've invented my own techniques by trying things & finding what works & what doesn't. I expect that any traditional artist would be horrified watching me paint. But it works for me. I wish that the pics in the gallery showed more detail, if you are looking for it you can definitely still see areas that look more like they've been drawn than painted. I still use the paint brush like a pencil to achieve some specific effects. You could always give it a go. John always says "Anyone can paint! The thing is to forget everything you've ever been told about art and just muck around & have fun. It's by playing with the paints that you figure out what works & what doesn't"

If you want to give it a go then I do most of my work with a size 8, size 1 & size 00 round head brush & with size 5 & size 2 flat head brushes. Buy sable for the round head brushes, not nylon. Nylon is less fluid & less likely to do what you tell it to.
300gsm cold pressed paper is best if you can afford it, it doesn't crinkle up unless it gets very wet & the texture of the paper can be a big part of your painting itself. Otherwise 150 gsm is a good place to start.
& a box of Acrylic paints. A set of 12 is plenty to start with, you can mix almost any colour from these anyway. You can use these watered down for a watercolour effect or thicker for more opaque looks. I usually use both effects in any painting.
These are a very good starting point & Any art shop will be able to get you these things if you ask for them.
Then just take them home & play.
You'll probably expand your brush collection as you go if you keep up with it, but by then you'll know what sort of size you are looking for & can just ignore the numbers & examine the brushes for what looks right.

Oh, I also use a good Hog bristle pastry brush for when I am doing back washes covering large areas with very diluted paint. Especialy for skys. Also, if you have mixed 'just the right colour' & want to store it for later then old film canisters are perfect. I told you any traditional artist would be apalled by me ;)

But believe me, if I can do it anyone can. I did miserably when I did a year of art at high school. And with the degree of creativity you've shown in your poetry I myself would love to see some of your work, pencil or, if you do try it, paints. Feckit, it would be good to see some of your work also if you would want to put some up?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Technicalities ... always with the technicalities. :D

I use one pencil, HB, and a rubber ... I think the rubber gets worn out first.
laughingsmiley.gif

I'll have a look ... I seen my folder once around here looking for something else ... now I don't know where it is. :rolleyes:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Yep, that's where I started. Years ago when I was stuck in isolation with my little boy. He was 2 & very sick & I was scared sh*tless & not allowed to leave the room, so I started drawing. Later on I added a B pencil & just went from there. :p

Ask a Question