I need help to buy a hard drive

Reaction score
Hope ypu can help me.
I have a LM810E Motherboard and i have a 20gig ST320410A ultra ATA /100 Hard drive and now i want to get a bigger hard drive but i still want to use my 20 gig HD so can i buy a 60gig HD and use it as a slave.
Would my mother board take another HD as a slave.

THANKS.

Kev.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Any Hard Drive will work as a slave, however, you need to give us more info like, what operating system you are using, if your BIOS is updated to accept larger hard drives etc. I understand 810E is an Intel board, please correct me if I am wrong.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Short answer: probably.

But, as Quad said, we need more info. What is the model number and manufacturer of your board?

Is your 20Gb drive the only drive you have in it?

How many optical drives (CD, DVD etc) do you have?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You should have no problem adding a second HD ... providing the eMachine has space in the case.

This, I think, is what you have ...
Intel Celeron 800 MHz (w/128KB L2 Cache)
Intel 810 Chipset, 100 MHz FSB
64 MB SDRAM (1 DIMM available for upgrade up to 256MB)
20 GB HDD
Built-in 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Intel Direct AGP 3D (shared memory)
Intel 82801 AC ‘97 Audio
10/100Mbps Ethernet Card
56K* ITU v.90 PCI internal Fax/Modem
Keyboard; Mouse; Stereo Speakers
2 USB ports (1 is on front bezel); 1 Serial; 1 Parallel; 1 Midi-Game; 2 PS/2; Audio In & Out, Microphone In; 3 Expansion slots - 1 available

Open the case and look inside ... is there a spare hard drive bay free AND does the ribbon cable that is attached to your existing HD have a spare connector. If not make sure you get an new 80 wire ribbon cable.

Download, install and run Everest, it will give you all the information on your system we need.

:thumb:

Reaction score
kevlambo said:
Hope ypu can help me.
I HD so can i buy a 60gig HD and use it as a slave.
Would my mother board take another HD as a slave.

THANKS.

Kev.

of course u can buy a 60gib harddrive
but why bother when u can really buy a 200/250gb harrdrive?!!!

but first make sure your motherboard can support it of course
u can never have enough space on your harddrive there will always be a day when u come to a situation like yours

good luck

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
theres no point gettting a 200GB drive as not all pcs can handle the size and i doubt that his will

muckshifter

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
theres no point gettting a 200GB drive as not all pcs can handle the size and i doubt that his will

Correct ...

Sorry kevlambo, but your system is very restricted in what "upgrades" that can be done, early eMachines, as this one appears to be, were not built with 'upgradeability' in mind.

If it does what you need it too, then fine, however, if you need more out of it I strongly recommend looking for a complete replacement.

:(

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Any Hard Drive will work as a slave, however, you need to give us more info like, what operating system you are using, if your BIOS is updated to accept larger hard drives etc. I understand 810E is an Intel board, please correct me if I am wrong.
HI i have Motherboard Description. LM810E Motherboard. (Seagate u6 model ST320410A 20gb ultra DMA/ULTRA ATA /100 HARD DRIVE.
Micro ATX from factory
Intel Pentium 111 or Celeron in the 370 pin package
Two DIMM socets, expandable to 512 uusing 256 MB SDRAM modules(I HAVE 512 mb)
Two built-in Enhanced IDE controllers
Intell 82810E graphics and Memory controller Hub (GMCH)
INTELL 82801AA I/0 Controller Hub (ICH)
Realtek RTL8100B LAN controller (optional)
SST49LF004F 4Mbit firmware Hub (FWH)
VIDEO MEMORY USING MAIN MEMORY
1.2GHz
i have 1 DVD player in 1 slot and have a DVDRW in the other slot and a floppy drive.
Im my motherboard will not take a slave HD i will just have to do with a 60GB HD thats if my mother board will take it....
Hope you can help me in any way
Thanks Muckshifter.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
kevlambo: Looks like you're good to go :)

You may as well go for an 80Gb hard disk, there's hardly any difference in price and your motherboard can handle it.

Just to be on the safe side, when you order the hard disk, order an 80-wire IDE cable as well. They don't cost much.

Fit your new disk on the same cable as your existing hard disk and set the jumpers to 'Slave'. (use the new cable).

If you're not sure what that means, on the back of your HDD you'll notice 1 or 2 'jumpers' connecting metal pins. There should be a diagram on the HDD casing telling you different configurations. Set them (it) to Slave.

One last thing: make sure you order an IDE or PATA Hard Disk, not a serial or SATA Disk.

muckshifter

Reaction score
As Floppy says ...

Your MB will take a 60/80 (and probably a 120) hard drive. I would however use a new 80wire ribbon cable, it will take care of one potential problem.

:thumb:

Reaction score
hi i got a 80gig hd set it up as my slave it is setup ian i have taken the cables of my DVD player and put them on my slave HD when i put the comp on it found the new drive but when i click on my computer the DVD is no there which i took out but it still does not show my new slave drive i know it is setup right for a slave drive but when i go into sytems it shows it next to my master drive and in systems it shows my 20GB and my new 80GB so why cant i see it when i click on my computer.
Hope you can help me in some way.
thenks. Kev

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Correct IDE cable plugs used?

Have you plugged the IDE cable in to the drive using the correct plugs on the ide cable and correct jumper settings.

One end of the IDE cable should be connected to the motherboard,
the other end should be connected to your primary (master) drive with jumper setting on master,
and the middle IDE plug should be connected to your secondary (slave) drive with the jumper setting on slave.

Another option is to set the jumpers on both drives to CS (cable select) which will automatically set the drive plugged at the end to a master and the drive connected to the middle of the cable as a slave - I don't normally choose this option as it hasent worked right for me in the past, and I prefer the peace of mind of knowing i have physically selected slave and master devices.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Format your new drive!

Oh I just realised while looking at another thread, that your drive most probabally doesnt show up because it not formatted.
Once formatted, your OS will recognise/see the drive and be able to read and write to it. :)

Ask a Question